Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connections

• Please log in to reply

kathic

kathic

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having a problem with connections at work. The laptops will not recognize the network even when wired in. The laptops will connect to the internet, but not to our network. Any ideas of how to handle this. We recently purchased Dell computers. We needed to turned off the firewalls due to problems with connecting to the network. We have 10 computers hooked up to the midframe, which is hosts the network. We are using lynksys, comcast, and dlink for the networking process. The laptops can see other business networks within the building, but not ours. Any ideas?

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Your system administrator at your work can do this for you.
Thank you.

kathic

kathic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
We don't have an administrator to do this. I am the IT person (I got picked) I am looking for ideas as to why this problem exists.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I am sorry, but I have no way of knowing that you are permitted to connect this laptop to your work network.
Some one set up the 10 computers hooked up to the midframe. Passwords where set up on this network.
Please ask who set this up and get the information you need.
Thank you.

kathic

kathic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
We had an outside person set up the midframe and connections. He doesn't know why the laptops have a problem connecting. I am the new IT person so to speak, as I have a BS in Programming. I understand the issue you have raised. I am just seeking answers to why we would have this problem. I have worked with this company for 6 years, but you don't know that for sure. Any ideas or areas for me to check would be appreciated.

Thank you for your help

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
How is the Network mapped? Is it static or dynamic?

Do you need a Hosts file to to map network devices and drives? Do you need to register a MAC address to use network resources?

Are you using SMB and Active Directory?

What Operating System(s) are in use on the Network?

Why is there no Network Administrator to answer these questions? This shows a lack of security. In this day and time Data has value and not protecting it is not a good business practice. The only good thing is that apparently there are some policies in place to minimize random access by unknown users.