Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nvidia GeForce 6800 GTO 256GT68

• Please log in to reply

DennConn

DennConn

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I bought a Dell Dimension 8400 Several years ago.
Pentium 4 processor 3.6GHZ 800FSB, Windows XP Pro, 2 GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM with 2 20 Inch Ultra Sharp Wide screen VGA monitors.
Problem: 1. A week ago i got a error that indicated the video card temp was high, first and only time i got that error. Was doing heavy graphics. When i stopped it stopped, and no further problem.

2. Three days ago when i booted up, the system would not boot. I tried three times. then finally it came up, but I no longer had my two screen capability desk top. I had the same view on both screens. And the resolution was reset to the lowest resolution. Everything seemed to work ok though.

Temp Solution: Hardward device manager indicated problem with video card not functioning properly. I tried to automatically reload the drivers, no luck. i rebooted several times. I think took the Dell REsource CD and down loaded and unpacked and installed origional drivers that came with the system. After Rebooting still no JOY....I tried this three times. Then I again installed the drivers and closed all windows and shut the system totally down and shut off the power...then several minutes later i booted up successifully, except for needing to rescale the resolution on the monitors, but the two monitors were functioning properly.

This has happened for the last three days...so in the morning i do the whole temp solution and leave the system on all day.

Is there any fix for this, or do i need a new video card? and if so how do i find one that is compatible with this system.
Could this be a problem with the operating system. I have had problems with IE7 not opening certain web sites that i know are there, instead it gives me an error(that is another problem)....

Any suggestions other than buy a new system. With 2 gig and a pentium 4 processor i should be able to last a while longer?

Suggestions or recommendations....???

Thanks
Denny

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Go here and download the driver to the desktop

driver

Set a restore point

Remove the current video driver with add/remove programs, then reboot the computer and tap F8 repeadedly, choose "VGA mode". Disable your virus scan and install the driver you downloaded. Reboot the computer.

What this does is remove the old driver and install the latest, if this don't work there is one more thing we can try that removes the old driver more throughly, this usually is not needed but as a last ditch effort we can try it if needed, I'll explain more about this if needed

DennConn

DennConn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Doby,
Thanks for your suggestion. I will try it. One thing i did, was to open the box and used air to blow all of the dust and cob webs out of the box and get it a bit cleaner. I thought that might have caused the temp to go up that one time. However, After Doing a reload of the origional driver daily for the last several days, this morning when i booted the system up, it came up correctly. why I sure don't know.

I down loaded the driver you suggested, In fact i went to nvidia's site and saw that driver, but was a bit afraid to load that one, as so many versions of video cards have come out since my 6800 GTO . I thought it might not work in my card.

I have the driver downloaded, and have found the Nvidia driver on the add/remove programs.

Question:
Is the Forceware Release 169 Compatible with my video card?

I understand disabling the virus s/w, Why do I need to click F8 and go to vga mode? to install the driver?

Also to install the driver do i just double click the down loaded file? Is it an application that loads the driver in the right place?

Sorry for the questions, but i am not that knowledgable on the internals of pc's.....

Thanks for your help, i will surely try this.

Denny

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Is the Forceware Release 169 Compatible with my video card?

Yes the reason it is not listed is because it was produced only as a oem card but it uses the same drivers as the Gt version.

understand disabling the virus s/w, Why do I need to click F8 and go to vga mode? to install the driver?

This keeps windows from running the add hardware wizard and possibly installing another driver, its not always necassary to do it this way but its easier.

Also to install the driver do i just double click the down loaded file? Is it an application that loads the driver in the right place?

Yes but instructions here, this will also help you become familiar with the controll panel

Instructions

DennConn

DennConn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Doby,
Thanks for the great info, i greatly appreciate your assistance. I have down loaded the instructions and will load the drivers to this video card. This helps a lot....I might not have to buy another video card.

It is always good to save $$$$

Denny

DennConn

DennConn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......As Lucy would say.......

The Challenge is on, and I have my shotgun ready to blast this Dell 8400.....

Doby, I did what you suggested and for the next three days i booted up normally. I usually turn the complete system off during the night and reboot the next day.
the last couple of days the following sequence happened. I have two monitors and i love them and the capability it gives me.

the first time or two on my morning boot, the monitors would show the Dell logo and then go blank....nothing no boot, i tried waiting them out and no Joy.

the on/off button would not turn the system off. I had to shut it off by turning off the power strip.

then waiting a few minutes, turn the power strip on, and hit the on/off button to try again to boot. Results would be mixed, i would either get another blank screen, and would shut off the power again. Or I would start the boot process.

Here is where my anxiety begins to boil, and my Triger finger tightens on my 12 gage shot gun........

When it boots, I can get one of several results:
1. It will boot normally and i will have two normal monitors to work with. the desktop on one monitor with icons and everything seems normal, with the second monitor up and available to drag windows to it. The resolution is usually 1024 x 768 which is fine for me.

2. It will boot and i will get the boot an sign on on both monitors, in low resolution at 800 x 600, and i know i am going to get both monitors as active desk tops and very low res. I can still boot up, and get the desk top on both monitors which is like the active monitor twice. No extended desktop monitor. I know the dual monitor function is not working. i get the same desktop on both monitors. (If this makes sense)....My trigger finger tightens and i aim the gun at the tower in a ready mode.

3. It will boot and i will get what appears to be a normal boot, where i sign on to one monitor and it comes up with one monitor the active desk top and the other monitor the extended desk top. Which is normal, EXCEPT....the resolution is at a much higher level up to 1280 x 1024. It functions like a dual monitor should, and all works ok, just a much higher resolution.

I get various logons like this. the last few days I have been getting first the blank dead screen, then after a few more startups i get the number 2 above and try again and depending how many times i try or if i get lucky i get a normal log on, or a high res log on.

The mornings have become a crap shoot as to ..will it boot up normally, or will i play around again to try to get on.

I did what you suggested and downloaded the latest driver and loaded it as you suggested. I ran the driver job and it all seemed to work well no problems.

I have the system up and running in a high res mode which works find, i just need to squint a bit, but fine, but who knows what tomorrow may bring...

I am sure open to suggestions...perhaps buy another computer...lol...I do accept donations.

Thanks for your patience, hope i have explained this ok....any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Loaded and ready to blast Dell......

Denny

Doobieus

Doobieus

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
If it's just the resolution that is the problem.

1) Right click on a blank area of your desktop, a menu should appear.

2) Go down to "Properties" and click.

3) A new window will pop up, on the top click on the tab that says "Settings"

4) Choose which screen to modify, click on "1" or "2"

5) Change the resolution to what you want, on whichever screen.

6) Click "Apply"

7) Click "Save"

This should fix the issues with the different resolutions.

In step 1 there should also be an option that says "nView Properties"

A window will pop up and there should be a button that says "TV wizard" or "Display wizard" Try to go through the wizard and see if this helps.

Hope this helps out :)

Edited by Doobieus, 02 February 2008 - 08:02 AM.

DennConn

DennConn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Doobieus,
Thanks for your input and suggestions. I do greatly appreciate them.
I have done your first suggestion on changing the resolution, however that is not the real problem( I wish it was)....

The Problem is: The system will not boot up the same each time I boot up, whether from Cold start or warm reboot.
One time it will go blank and not boot,(I shut the power and start again till i get a boot).
Another time it will boot into a One desk top displayed on both screens in a low res....
Another time it will boot good into a two screen environment with the highest resolution..(which is a good boot and both screens function correctly)
Another time it will boot in the screen format that is good and the way it was when i shut the system down.

Multiple boots for no reason.

I have down loaded the latest drivers, and installed them without trouble....

Your suggestion on the "Nview Properties" I looked it up and will try it next time i get a bad boot
It is called "Nvidia Control Panel" when i right click on the desktop...
It shows a "Run Multiple display wizzard"

I will try this on my next cold start up....(Can't do it right now as i am in a working mode and the system is working find now)...
but who knows after i shut down and do a cold start......
I shall keep my 12 gage at the ready...

Again, thank you for that great suggestion. I have found something i didn't realize existed the "Nvidia Control Panel)...

Thanks for your time...I will get back to you with what i find out.

Denny

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Denny,

I have one last suggestion before suggesting the card is flaky,,,,,,,, google driver cleaner pro, its free you just have to find the pro version, any other and you have to pay for it. Download and install it, run driver cleaner in safe mode and remove any driver relating to video then reinstall the latest drivers.

Some times removing drivers with add/remove programs leaves rements of the driver that can cause problems driver cleaner does a much better job, this is a long shot but heck its free

DennConn

DennConn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Doby,

Thanks for that suggestion. I will try that and get back to you as to how it works.....I have two items now in my tool box with which to try.
Next time i boot i will be armed to the teeth.

I will probably reboot in the morning and if get these same problems it is off to the races and will try this.

Thanks for the ideas...willing to try anything before i head to get a new video card.

Thanks

Denny