Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD with XP. Can't get any HDD'S to work

• Please log in to reply

SandV4

SandV4

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
:)

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site but I hope someone out there can help me. I have tried so many different things. I have already checked several websites listed in forums all of which was not able to help.

A couple of days ago, I started my comp up and got the BSOD with the error message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xBA4C3528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

This was on a 6gb HDD that I had running with nothing too important on it so i figured what the [bleep], I'll do a re-format and clean install of XP Home. After doing this I get to the black screen, white lettering that ask me to start in safe mode, last known good configuration, normal, etc. No matter what I pick it kept going back to that same BSOD.

So then I decided to plug in a 10gb HDD that I had, did a format and clean install of XP Home and it's still doing the same thing. Plugged in yet another 6gb HDD, formatted, clean install of Home XP and once again the same BSOD. Now all these HDD's are older and all but the last thing I want is to go buy a brand new HDD and get the same problem. I run chkdsk and then chkdsk /p and then chkdsk /r and still no progress.

I have also switched IDE cables, made sure jumpers were in the right position, run diags on the HDD and all show no errors. I saw something on editing the boot.ini file but I have no clue on how to do this. Can someone please help me. I use this comp primarily for gaming.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I tried to give as much info as I could think of. If anyone could help I would be so grateful. Thank you all in advance.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
The 0x0000007B error indicates that Windows XP has lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage hardware. This error "may" also indicate possible virus infection.

Stop error 0007B is usually an inaccessible boot device. I'd be sure to recheck where & how cables are connected (hard drives & CD devices), and whether it is right kind of cable. Ultra-ATA disk controllers need to have Ultra-ATA cables ---the new 80-wire IDE cables.

Also insure you have the latest available BIOS release for your motherboard.
And try to remember what you changed recently on your system.

SandV4

SandV4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
All the cables are right and are properly inserted and seated. I also just completed a full 8 passes on memtest86+ with no problems or errors.

I was loading Call Of Duty 4 onto my external hard drive when my 6gb internal crappped. It shutdown and did a restart and when it came back on the internal HDD was clicking loudly and was not being detected. I plugged in a spare 10gb that I have been using as a slave, reformated, did a clean install of xp and still get the BSOD i mentioned above. If I don't have the right drivers, how can I get them so that I can load it throught the XP Recovery Console Dos Prompt being that they are exe files. Thank you for your insight and please let me know if there is anything else you can think of.

SandV4

SandV4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
HELP!! I am completely lost with these and I need any and all input as possible. PLEASE HELP ME!!!