Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network issue between Vista laptop & XP desktop

• Please log in to reply

hottiemom24

hottiemom24

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I need help with my network! I have done tons of research and spent hours trouble shooting. I have a wireless Dell 1720 laptop running Vista Home Premium, another Dell 9100 wireless laptop running Windows XP Business and then a wired desktop running XP Home. I had a bunch of worms, malware, viruses and the such recently and ever since my Dell Laptop was infected, I can't get it to network properly. I run a wireless network through a Linksys router. I can connect to the internet without any issues, however I cannot see the desktop computer which is hosting the printer on the network. The printer is a Brother MFC6800. I had no issues whatsoever until all the malware issues cropped up. I was able to print, network and such without a problem.

I have read this forum and tried some of the 'fixes' offered to others and tried to implement them....without success! I can't figure this issue out at all. Please help! I haven't been able to print for a couple of weeks and it's driving me insane. Thanks!

Advertisements

hottiemom24

hottiemom24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have to add something to this issue. I have researched online solutions to this issue. I can view my entire network when I click on the View Map in my Network center. However, I can't do anything with the other computers. I can't right click to change the properties or anything. It's like it's there, but it's not there. I went into my CMD and sent a ping to the IP address of the network computer and all 4 pings were returned. So in some way they are 'talking', but not completely since I can't see them in my network connections, nor can I print on a printer attached to one of them.

Just wanted to give more information.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
You are not the first to have this problem!
Please follow this link to read about a possible solution.

AND FOR THOSE OF YOU EXPERIENCING THIS PRINTER SHARING PROBLEM BETWEEN VISTA AND XP THIS WAS MY SOLUTION.

Create a Local Printer on Vista, Create a Local Port in the form
\\XPMACHINE\Printsharename (this will send the files using the redirector rather than the RPC service). Install the Vista driver for the device.

Thank you.

hottiemom24

hottiemom24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
thanks, but I had already gone through all the steps on that link. Like I said. I can 'see' the XP desktop when I view my full map, but I can't access it. It's like something in my Vista system is blocking me from accessing that computer. Which so happens to host my printer! It seems to be a networking/administrative problem.

Also, I had already tried adding a new local port, however it won't let me map to the network computer holding my printer. It keeps telling me that it can't find the network. However, I can get on the internet through my network.

I am at a complete loss about this issue!!

Edited by hottiemom24, 24 January 2008 - 03:38 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
OK you are not using a server or active directory so I am more inclined to think that it would be a firewall issue than a permissions issue.
The reason I posted that link is that he had the exact same problem you have, That his Vista machine could not access the printer on the XP machine.
So lets look at your XP machine.
First what firewall are you using?
Have you set up sharing after the infection was cleaned?

Share and Share Alike
After I installed my new printer on the computer, I wanted to use it from other computers. I even wanted to print from my laptop computer, sitting on the patio, connecting to the network with a wireless NIC. Before I could do that, I had to share the printer. Windows XP doesn't automatically share printers, which is a good thing when you don't want to share your toys.

To share the printer, I opened the Printers and Faxes folder on the computer that was connected to my printer.

To open the Printers and Faxes folder

• Click Start and then click Control Panel.

• Click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Printers and Faxes.

• In the Printers and Faxes folder, I clicked the printer's icon and, in the tasks pane, I clicked Share This Printer.

• I opened the printer's Properties dialog box, and clicked on the Sharing tab.

• I clicked Share Name, and then clicked OK.

That's it—the printer was immediately available for other computers to use.

Now that I had a network printer, I was ready to connect to it and print from other computers on the network.

To connect to the printer

• I opened Control Panel, and clicked Printers and Other Hardware.

• I clicked Add a Printer.

• Instead of adding a local printer, though, I clicked Printer Connection and then browsed the network for the printer.

please go here and here to learn about setting up a network and sharing a printer.
Thank you.

hottiemom24

hottiemom24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have done everything! I even hooked the laptop to the printer directly and it has no issue printing, but it won't find the printer on the network! I have walked through the steps of adding the local printer on the local port and typed in the computer name and printer name that it's attached to. It tells me that path is not found on the network. On the desktop PC running XP, it's all set up to network and share the printer....in fact, my other laptops can print to it over the wireless network. However, the laptop running Vista....forget it! It doesn't show any other computers on the network and can't access them. It's like it's on it's own little island.

I am frustrated by this problem, because I am not computer dumb, I know how to network computers and this laptop running Vista was working on the network just fine until a few weeks ago. Like I said, it got a virus while trying to download stuff from the net off of Limewire (I know, stupid) and ever since then, it hasn't been able to print through the network or get on the network at all, except to get on the net. I have no problem with that, luckily! :-)

Oh and I did do what you said above and it didn't work, in fact, it was already set up correctly. The problem is not with the XP machine since other computers can talk to it. The problem lies with the Vista running laptop that I am about to chuck out the window! ;-)

I even deleted the printer off my printer list on the laptop. However, now I can't add it again because it can't frikin find the printer on the network.

Edited by hottiemom24, 24 January 2008 - 04:50 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
This seems to be a common problem with Vista accessing XP machines on a network.
The only answers that I have found are what I directed you to, I am very sorry that I do not know how to fix this.
I have searched the Microsoft Data Base and come up empty.
I hope one of the more knowledgeable members can give you an answer.
Sorry.

hottiemom24

hottiemom24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks anyway for your help. I don't know what else to do except to start over with the operating system. It's just ridiculous.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi HM24
On the Vista machine could you click on start >control panel>Admin tools>services
Have a look down the list at print spooler. Is the print spooler started?
If not right click on print spooler and click on start.
Are you running only windows firewall or are you running things like zone alarm.
What anti virus are you running on the xp machine.
Can I have a link to to your malware problem so I can see what was done.
Have you also checked the basics - are the xp and vista in the same workgroup.
Cheers
peterm
PS
Just to humour me. On the xp desktop wich has the printer go to control panel
Add or Remove Programs window, do you have Update for Windows XP (KB922120) listed

Edited by peterm, 25 January 2008 - 02:02 AM.

hottiemom24

hottiemom24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yes, the print spool is started. Here is the link to what I did before with the malware. http://www.geekstogo...er-t182682.html

I am using Windows firewall and the printing is not blocked. I have SuperAntiSpyware. I just uninstalled AVG. I also have SpyGuard. Anything I was asked to download is still loaded except for a couple of things. I did not uninstall anti-spyware until today, AVG expired on the free trial.

I will have to check on the XP, but I know that we just downloaded the latest updates for it.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Have you considered a print server?

hottiemom24

hottiemom24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yes, the XP computer has the specific update that you asked about.

I don't know what a print server is. No other computer in this network has issues. Only the new laptop running Vista. It can't see any other computer on the network, so I believe there is a network setting blocking the laptop, within the laptop.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Sorry, if you click on the link I put in the last post (the bold text) you will go to a website for a print server.
It is just an idea for you to consider.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Did you check the workgroup is the same on xp and vista.
in the Vista firewall please check Network discovery and Windows collabration computer name registration service are both ticked.
Also in network and sharing check that network discovery is turned on.
Could you do an ipconfig on desktop xp and vista machine please. post the ip address subnet mask and default gateway for both machines.

1. Click Start, and then click Network. (Or you can click Start, type ncpa.cpl into the search box, and press ENTER).
2. Click on the Network and Sharing Center, and then click Manage Network Connections.
3. Right click on the Local Area Connection or the connection you are using.
4. Select the Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
5. Click the Advanced button under the General tab.
6. Click the WINS tab.
7. Click the Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP button.
8. Click Ok.

Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 25 January 2008 - 02:26 PM.

hottiemom24

hottiemom24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Absolutely. They are the same. They both say that they are sharing too. I am wondering if I need to wipe this laptop and reinstall the Vista OS.