Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a new pc

• Please log in to reply

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Um, no :)
I said it'll lower your performance per dollar as crossfire and SLI does not yeild the 100% gain most people think it should.

So if I had a rig with a 8800 in it and then SLI'd it with another 8800 there would be no performance drop with all of my other components? I mean, does the computer not use more resources than it would with just one card?

Advertisements

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
You're actually ADDING more resources FOR the computer to use. Like, when you put in another gb of ram, it's adding another gb, not adding another card that other things need to handle.

It's different when adding things like a network card or PCI USB or something. These don't give the computer any of it's base power.

SLI will take more power from your PSU, but unless you don't have a power PSU, this won't affect anything.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What he is trying to say is that for example if you get 50 frames per second in a game and you add another card to SLI this does not mean your frame rate is going to increase to 100. While adding 2nd card might have you think that you are doubling your performance it really doesn't work out that way.

tuesdaysgone06

tuesdaysgone06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hmm very interesting to know, so in the long run it would just be better to get a single card if it was better than two cards in SLi?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The only time SLI would be worth it is if you were getting some very high end cards. If you were looking to spend $500 then two 8800GTs would outperform a 8800 ultra at a simular price. But also you would need an SLI MOBO, and power supply which will really raise the cost. Other than that I see it as more than a marketing gimic then anything else. They are always improving on it though.

Edited by Titan8990, 29 January 2008 - 08:29 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

The only time SLI would be worth it is if you were getting some very high end cards. If you were looking to spend $500 then two 8800GTs would outperform a 8800 ultra at a simular price. But also you would need an SLI MOBO, and power supply which will really raise the cost. Other than that I see it as more than a marketing gimic then anything else. They are always improving on it though.

The higher the resolution you are gaming at the greater the benefit of SLI/crossfire. If you are playing at low resolutions you notice next to no difference at all.

hmm very interesting to know, so in the long run it would just be better to get a single card if it was better than two cards in SLi?

Not in the PC world, more is always better. However the performance gains you'll see won't be as great.
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 January 2008 - 02:56 PM.

tuesdaysgone06

tuesdaysgone06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i am gonna try to get an 8800GT and use EVGAs step up program when the new card comes out, does this sound like a good plan?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I actually have the same plan myself. Keep in mind you will probably have to send your video card in first and will have to do without for a couple weeks.

tuesdaysgone06

tuesdaysgone06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hmm, i never thought about that, how long do you think an 8800GT would last me then, like could it let me play alot of the games i would like to play before i have to send it in and wait some more? because i am currently still waiting to get enough money, like i said i am getting a loan and it still hasnt come in. so i would like a card that would last me for a while say i didnt want to give it up right away because i just got it, you know

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

hmm, i never thought about that, how long do you think an 8800GT would last me then, like could it let me play alot of the games i would like to play before i have to send it in and wait some more? because i am currently still waiting to get enough money, like i said i am getting a loan and it still hasnt come in. so i would like a card that would last me for a while say i didnt want to give it up right away because i just got it, you know

Just like any other GPU, they'll last about 2-3years if you don't mind not playing at the highest resolution possible and not playing at the highest settings.
James

Advertisements