Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Cooler has died - Need to Replace

• Please log in to reply

sammgo

sammgo

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi everyone, I don't know too much about this stuff, please bear with me and my terminology....

My cooling unit on my cpu has died, more specifically the fan has died and I have a few questions:

1. How do I determine what socket type/CPU I have? I think it's P4 2.8ghz but I really don't know what socket it is

2. Is it possible to just replace the fan part and not the metal part (which I believe is called a heatsink)?

Thanks

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
If you have not changed the mother board, you can go to the web site of the computer manufacture and get the mother board specifications.
If this is a custom built computer, or you have changed the mother board, you can get the manufacture name and part number off of the mother board itself and go to their web site for the specifications.
You can replace just the fan. But take this opportunity to clean out the vents in the heat sink with a can of compressed air. (air compressors are too powerful).
Thank you.

sammgo

sammgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks hfcg

I have not replaced the motherboard, but the information is not available on the site. It was a semi-custom item. The company has standard computers they sell, which they build, I customized mine in store b/c I didn't like the configurations they had. I do know it's an Intel board and I can see a sticker with some letters and numbers, maybe a serial code?

Is replacing the fan something I can do myself? it seems to have some screws holding it onto the heatsink, maybe I could just take the fan off, take it to my local computer parts place (tigerdirect) and ask them for a replacement? then screw the thing back on?

I was reading about what would be involved in replacing the heatsink as well, and that is not a job I want to do. But........

One more question..... I have noticed my comp is pretty slow sometimes, could this be a heat problem considering what happened? The fan had been making noise for a while I just didn't know what it was. Perhaps it's running too hot anyways and I should take this opportunity to replace the entire cooling unit with something better?
This is what the unit looks like:

Posted Image

Only it has some arms on the top and bottom, I don't know what those are.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

One more question..... I have noticed my comp is pretty slow sometimes, could this be a heat problem considering what happened? The fan had been making noise for a while I just didn't know what it was. Perhaps it's running too hot anyways and I should take this opportunity to replace the entire cooling unit with something better?
This is what the unit looks like:

Yes, the computer will run slower if there is a heat issue. This can also damage your processor.
It is simple to change the fan.
  • unplug the fan from the mother board
  • unscrew the four screws
  • take the fan to your local computer shop (it will cost $12.00-$15.00)
  • reinstall in revers order
The heat sink is just a block of metal. It may get clogged up with dust but has no moving parts. There is no real need to replace it.
Thank you.

sammgo

sammgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Awesome.

Thanks so much

sammgo

sammgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I just went home at lunch and I noticed that a small light in lit on the motherboard, it was also lit last night when I was looking at things....I've included a pic, you cant see the light, but it is in the area I've circled. It's green - does this have to do with the fan?

Posted Image

Also, I think I found the socket type by this installation guide I found on the manufacture website
http://www.evercool....install/478.htm

Is that a fair assumption?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
The green light just means that there is power to the board.
Please unplug the machine before doing any work on it.

sammgo

sammgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ah ok.

Thanks.

I will unplug it, I wasn't doing any work on it, just looking.

What you do think of my assumption of the socket type?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
It is most likely a 478. I do not believe that it is a 378, and I know that it is not a 775.
The socket does not matter so much as that the new fan will fit on the heat sink.
By taking the fan with you, it can be compared to the new one.
You should not have to do anything with the arms on the side.
These hold down the heat sink.
Just unscrew the 4 screws.

Edited by hfcg, 23 January 2008 - 02:44 PM.

sammgo

sammgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have been looking for a fan, but I can't seem to find one. Everyone is trying to sell me the whole package. Should I be looking at 70mm 3pin case fans to replace?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Buy the whole package.
Then take the fan off of the new one and switch it to the old heat sink.
The whole package should be under $20.00
I would stay with what is already on the machine.
We can swap everything out if you feel up to it?

sammgo

sammgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
oh....ok. Sorry I was confused! I've never done anything like this before (that's what they all say! lol)

I don't know if I want to do the whole thing, if it's not necessary. I mean, even with the clips I stil have to pry it off the CPU right? that scares the H out of me. I would hate to wreck it.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

I don't know if I want to do the whole thing, if it's not necessary. I mean, even with the clips I stil have to pry it off the CPU right? that scares the H out of me. I would hate to wreck it.

It is easy, but best to do your first one on an old computer that does not matter!
Lets stick with swapping the fan.
Thank you.

sammgo

sammgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks. I'll stick to just swapping the fan for now.

I have an old HPxw6400 workstation from work that I want to play around with and maybe frankinstien something. My hubby needs a computer strickly for recording music, I thought maybe that could be my 1st build project. Anyways, thanks so much for all your help. :)