Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Windows XP service pack 2 update

• Please log in to reply

SmellyKelly

SmellyKelly

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hey there -
I've been having some problems with my computer and I believe part of it may be related to the service pack. My computer is still running on the original service pack 1a on XP home edition but I can't update it to service pack 2. My computer only runs in safe mode currently (and won't connect to the internet even in safe mode with networking), when I boot it up in regular mode, the screen is fuzzy or black until I get a BSOD about my video card. I downloaded service pack 2 onto an external hard drive (from another computer) and then put it on my computer, but when I try to run the setup application I always get an error message before its done. Any ideas how to get through this?

Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Hey there -
I've been having some problems with my computer and I believe part of it may be related to the service pack. My computer is still running on the original service pack 1a on XP home edition but I can't update it to service pack 2. My computer only runs in safe mode currently (and won't connect to the internet even in safe mode with networking), when I boot it up in regular mode, the screen is fuzzy or black until I get a BSOD about my video card. I downloaded service pack 2 onto an external hard drive (from another computer) and then put it on my computer, but when I try to run the setup application I always get an error message before its done. Any ideas how to get through this?

Thanks for your help!

Sounds to me like your Video Card is dying, or malfunctioning - Before you attempt to install SP2, I would try to have that looked at, because Safe Mode is used for diagnosing problems, and there may be a problem with the driver for your videocard or something else is cauising probelms. Also, when you run in safe mode, you are not running a full set of your drivers, and trying to install programs may require normal mode to work properly. If you tried to install SP2 in safe mode I do not believe it will work properly.

Did the screen go fuzzy before or after you installed the SP2 Update? If after, you may be able to remove the update and go back to SP1a - one of our other techs may have other ideas, but it you can ONLY start in safemode and cannot connect to the internet even with safemode with networking, I would guess that there are other issues besides BSOD's for your Videocard.

Brian