Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dfrgre.dll - Trojan Horse?

• Please log in to reply

ride111

ride111

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi guys. I'm brand new to this website and my brother is having trouble with his laptop. I said I would try and fix it but i'm not doing too well so i'm asking you guys who hopefully have a better idea than me. My brother's laptop when I checked it had loads of strange programs installed like 'RelevantKnowledge' being one and another called 'Otto'...he doesnt know how they got there so i'm assuming its spyware or adaware. Anyways, I removed these strange programs and his computer seems to be working fine - it loads up fine, operates normal but everytime it loads up a few minutes later a message from norton AntiVirtus appears which says that "Norton AntiVirus has detected a virus on your computer" and indicates it is high risk.

It lists the object name as:

C:\windows\system32\dfrgre.dll trojan horse

and states that in terms of action taken: unable to repair this file and that access to this file was denied.

But the computer seems to be working fine - the Norton's bar on the toolbar has a green tick and i just used Microsoft Defender which did a scan and said that the computer was running normailly. I'm now going to try and use Spybot - Search and Destroy and see if I can get rid of this problem. So was wondering if you guys could help me - really appreciate it.

I also tried using the Nortons help (http://securityrespo...2822-99&tabid=3) but couldnt follow it!

Edited by ride111, 23 January 2008 - 10:32 AM.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Yes it seems to be

I see you already have made a topic in the Malware Removal forum, somebody will get to your topic soon

ride111

ride111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yeah i wasnt sure where to post it. thanks though.