Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

video upgrade or conflict?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
With the hope of sqeezing perhaps another year of use out of my 3 1/2 year old Dell Dimension 8300, I bought and installed a EVGA GeForce 7300 GT (512 MB AVG model). However, after doing so, I now have stuttering/herky-jerky issues when playing online games of Madden08. My former vid card was a GeForce FX5200 (128 MB), and handled the games flawlessly. I've tried the drivers that came with the new card, and updated ones from both the Nvidia and EVGA sites, but with none working better than the other.

My pc specs:
Dell Dimension 8300
Pentium 4 w/ HT technology
3 GHz w/ 800MHz FSB
XP Home (SP2)

Also, even though the new card meets the minimum requirements for COD4, it seems unable to handle it, even using the lowest resolution settings. Is it possible that my pc's DDR memory and video card's DDR2 memory is clashing, causing the stuttering problems?

Any and all insight is appreciated...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Card's too fast for the rest of the system. None of the rest of it can keep up.
A jump from an FX5200 card to a 7300GT is a very big one and should ideally be accompanied by appropriate upgrades in the rest of the system.