Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Partition shows Jibberish Fonts

• Please log in to reply

sdijan

sdijan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My external Hard Drive (SATA) has 3 partitions. One of them, I can open, no problem. Second I can open, however, all the folders and files have been rewritten in symbols that make no sense. I cannot open any of these folders or files posting following message - ..."The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect". I have tried pretty much everything at this point. I tried to "file recover" with the DART recovery software... however this second partition is not visible in through this software. The third partition of this hard drive has a problem as well, and I cannot even open this partition from the Explorer.
When I check this hard drive in Computer Management and Disk Management, this disk lists there as "Disk 3" with 3 partitions, all Healthy. Only the partition that shows all the Jibberish symbols is also set as "active" and shows to be in FAT (with no indication if FAT 16 or 32). The only partition that I can open and seems to have all files OK is listed as NTFS - Healthy. The third partition that cannot be even open is listed as Healthy however there is no indication if this is NTFS or FAT - simply no format is indicated. Since this third partition cannot be even opened, I tried to format this however when I start formatting, I have got the following message... "Windows was unable to complete the format"...
So, now, question for all of you computer masters and geeks is -
1/ What happened to the Second Partition where I see only Jibberish symbols where I can open the drive however cannot open the directories (Snapshot of this drive is attached to this post). Is there any fix that you recommend??? Since I need thiose files and directories, I do not want to try to format this drive without at least trying to recover data first.
2/ What happened to the Third Partition that cannot be open and cannot be formatted. Any fix for this problem???

Please help if you can!

Thanks
sdijan

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen.GIF

Advertisements