Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Instal OS FAST

• Please log in to reply

mikhael

mikhael

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I recently talked with another person running a computer tech business and i was complaining about installing windows (any version). I stated that it would be simple if i had every computer be the same, because i could just use an image. but without every computer i reload windows on being the same, I'm forced to sit through the install process like any other person. She told me she doesn't do that and can have windows installed in about 18mins. I don't see how this is possible, but she wouldn't tell me how as she is competition.

I searched google, but found nothing on quickly installing a version of windows. any ideas?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I found the following and it may be related to the way your competition is doing it:

What is Windows Setup?
Deploying Windows 98 Using Batch 98 and Infinst.exe
Superior RIS: Automating Application Setups
How to install multiple Windows updates or hotfixes with only one reboot

Possibly you could make an image CD of one install and then use it for all the others. That method sounds like you were on the right track using an image CD.

Ron

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
To deploy windows XP the preffered method, and one which I use myself at work And home, is to deploy a sysprep ghost image. If this means nothing to you, I suggest you do alot of reading before even attempting it, otherwise you'll look pretty bad, its tricky stuff.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Beginners Guides: Unattended Windows 2000/XP Installations
Make a customized Windows Install CD with all the drivers already included. Let the install process go ahead 100% unattended, so you can get down to some real work, and leave the "click ok" job to the non-IT folks.

the link is here

Edited by happyrck, 23 January 2008 - 05:53 PM.