Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fastest Way to Erase RW-DVD's Is....

• Please log in to reply

scottportraits

scottportraits

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Wed Jan 23, 2008 2.45pm est

Hello,
I have many used rewritable DVD's. They are packaged as "DVD+RW"'s. I now want to scrub most of them and have some fresh ones on hand.

But Nero Express takes about 25 minutes to do it, the FULL strength method, anyway. A lot of time, it seems.

My Windows Media Player 11 purports to do this task, but I can't get it to do it. Here's what happens:

I insert the used DVD disk into Drive\:F - (a USB stand alone DVD burner by Lite-On). I launch WMP11, and hit the "RIP" tab. It lists the internal CD/DVD burner (Drive\:E) and the other stand alone one as Drive\:F - the disk is in Drive\:F.......
....highlight and right click over Drive\:F, then choose 'Erase' from the menu. Window opens to reconfirm if I want to erase it, and I say 'yes'. Allegedly, the process begins, according to a little icon in the low right corner of WMP11, but it doesn't actually erase it.

I tried several times. Isn't there a faster way to do this ?? What is the best software app for the job ? What are the steps ?

Thanks,

-scottportraits

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
no, unfortanetly there isn't any quick way of doing this. Nero is already one of the best tools to do this. Media player is really only meant to format a blank rw for writing, not erasing a dvd+rw.

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Wed Jan 30 08 6pm est

I guess these DVD+RW disks are kind of cheap, or just not that great. At any rate, some don't seem to want to erase and others do fine.

If I buy another DVD player in the future, I will remember this fact and NOT buy a 'recordable' DVD set, since they must write onto a rewritable disk (or a regular DVD disk - which the PC already does); so I can record on VHS tapes like in the old days and re-record over and over them a hundred times, with no problem.

VHS is here to stay, as are those black cassettes they use. This is the best way to automatically set up a recording of a show, movie, sports event, etc., and be able to erase it and re-record over it afterwards a zillion times.

I guess the point is this: rewritable DVD's aren't very good, so record from the TV with VHS cassettes. Buy DVD's off EBay for cheap and just record on them once from the PC. Don't use rewritable DVDs. They are a pain in the seat.

-scottportraits

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
It sounds like a tivo would be much more to your liking. Even a Media Center PC.