Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Domain Extensions

• Please log in to reply

UFCfan04

UFCfan04

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, Im new here and this question has been bugging me for some time now. I have tried googling for any results at all on the subject but have come up short.

Question: Is there any way to purchase or obtain a domain extension, similar to .com, .net, .org, etc.? I have been thinking about making my own extension and was wondering the process in which to do so. Thanks for the help in advance.

-Michael

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Having your own extension outside of the known and approved extensions will make it extremely hard for anyone to find your site. Especially the Search Engines. Possibly you can run your own extensions on your own server, but why? If no one can find you, no will will visit.

Ron

Countries and Their Domain Extensions
A Name Of Your Own
No .com? Add the Domain Extension to Your Name and Logo

UFCfan04

UFCfan04

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ya that makes sense, I as kind of just interested in the idea or possibility of creating one of my own. Which could be a benefit if I dont want the site to be easily public, but have a little bit of secrecy.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Then set up your own on your computer and restrict access to only those you want.

Ron