Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I get music off of a CD without using a program?

• Please log in to reply

Slayer21

Slayer21

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Is there any way I can just pull them off of the CD. I have some old CD's I want to preserve, but Windows Media doesn't always find them and only finds some on all 3 of my computers. So is there any way I can rip them off without using a program, like just getting them straight from the CD?

Thanks,
Chris

Advertisements

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
So you want to get music off CD's without using software... I've never heard of anything like that.

You might give CDex a try. It is lightweight and easy to use.

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
this way is working much faster than most rippers, but it makes quite a large .wav file at about 50 MB each, but can easily be turned into a smaller MP3 with a converter. anyway to make it so i dont have to convert to MP3?

jacobt

jacobt

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

this way is working much faster than most rippers, but it makes quite a large .wav file at about 50 MB each, but can easily be turned into a smaller MP3 with a converter. anyway to make it so i dont have to convert to MP3?

You don't "have to" convert your music to MP3, but your hard drive will fill up very fast if you are saving all your music as wav files. I gather you are trying to rip music from an audio CD to your computer, but I am not sure if what I infer is correct. If three different computers are unable to rip the files it is probably the disc. Try cleaning it.
By the way, the only logical answer to the question in the title "How do I get music off of a CD without using a program" would be to put it in a CD player and play it.
slayr rulz

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
CDex will rip the cd to either wav (uncompressed audio) or to mp3 (compressed audio). it just depends on how much room you want to take up on your hard drive for each file.

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
How do I set it up to convert it from CD to MP3?

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
First make sure you have the settings right for the correct encoder. It should be set by default, but if its not, here's how to make sure it's set up right.

Go to the settings dialog:
Posted Image

Select the Lame encoder for mp3's:
Posted Image

Once you load the CDDB info for the CD, select to extract the tracks to compressed audio (mp3).
Posted Image

Let me know if you need more info, i'm happy to help!