Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

COMUTER TURNS ON FOR A SECOND AND THEN SHUTS OFF!

• Please log in to reply

SpazFactorial

SpazFactorial

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This is a very serious problem because my life pretty much revolves around my computer. I'm not much of a computer wiz so I don't have any idea what the problem could be so..... My computer has always worked fine. No viruses, and any unwanted spyware has always been removed. The other day I moved my computer to a new workplace....probably about 10 miles away. I was using my computer before hand and it worked perfectly fine....when I got it to the new workplace I set everything up the way I like it and went to turn it on. This is were things started to get interesting.....I pushed the power button to turn it on.....it turned on for one second then shut off....then turned on for a one second by itself and then shut off all over again. It did this about 20 times before I decided to just turn it off and try another outlet....it did the same thing....I th ought maybe the power chord was bad so I tried another one...same problem. The new location is a house that is really old so I don't know if if the house just doesn't have enough juice to run the computer, or if it's something completely different. See, I'm a professional graphic designer (make logos, t-shirts, cd booklets, ect. for local bands and businesses), so my computer is a major must have. Without my computer, no money....with no money....well you know....

If anybody has any suggestions....any at all could you please help me out....I would appreciate is more than anything. Maybe I can return the favor and design something for somebody in return....please!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to rule out your new house wiring causing the problem...take the computer to somewhere else and try it there...
or get a tester like this one here

Edited by happyrck, 23 January 2008 - 06:09 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Since you moved it, something inside could have come lose. I've had several where the CPU actually came lose from the socket!

Open the case and check everything inside. Make sure all PCI cards are seated, the memory sticks are fully seated, all cables and power connectors are also firmly seated.

SpazFactorial

SpazFactorial

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Since you moved it, something inside could have come lose. I've had several where the CPU actually came lose from the socket!

Open the case and check everything inside. Make sure all PCI cards are seated, the memory sticks are fully seated, all cables and power connectors are also firmly seated.

I actually never even thought of that. I woke up this morning, tried it again, and it worked just fine. So maybe something did get knocked loose during the move, and I just got lucky that it turned on and functioned properly...but who knows. I appreciate all of the tips....if anything happens like this happens again I'll take it apart and check, but I'm afraid that if I do it now it might start to act up.

SpazFactorial

SpazFactorial

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well....its' doing it again.....this time it was a little bit weirder though. I left my computer on and came downstairs to shower and what not. When I came back upstairs the screen was all glitchy....sqaures everywhere...differant colors and nothing would work....so I shut it off......I went to turn it back on and it started to doing the turn on shut off thing again.......does anybody have any more suggestions.........

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Correct me if I'm wrong someone but I would suspect a motherboard going bad.. But I don't know...

-AGENTMES

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
there are several things that can cause this..bad power supply...ram...cpu heatsink not attached properly..and several others
In order to help you we need all the pieces of the puzzle...
What are your system components...
can you get into your bios...if so ...
get this from another computer
lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest + here....
the lowdown is here
if you have a floppy drive you can get the 6th one down ...set the bios to boot from the floppy drive A: first...then the cd drive then the Hard drive C:
or you can get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...let memtest run for at least 2 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the RAM...no errors after 2 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other tests

Edited by happyrck, 31 January 2008 - 01:07 PM.

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Also, you could check to make sure your graphics card is seated in the slot correctly.