Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphics card prob

• Please log in to reply

andrew brunner

andrew brunner

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
hi i have a ati radeon 1600 pro, i updated the drivers, and the graphics would freeze in call of duty uo.

and the screen would go black and swich back to normal 3 times, and then the comp would restart itself.

So i tried the previous version driver. that fixed the freeze and restart prob. but it still goes black and freezes, and now an error comes up and say that it reset display settings because the graphic accelerator wasnt responding to any graphic cammand. is that a problem with the driver or the card it self.

my system spec are: ASUS EAX1600PRO/TD/256M Radeon X1600PRO 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16, Kingston HyperX 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200), AMD Opteron 165 Denmark 1.8GHz Socket 939 110W Dual-Core Processor, ASUS A8N5X 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard.

i thought i would include that if it helped at all, and if you need to know the exact graphics cardhere is the link

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121549.

even if it is a simple prob im still going to get a new gc, from nvidea chipset

thanks for the help.

Advertisements

andrew brunner

andrew brunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
WOW!! this site has very good help, not even one reply to this thanks.

well i just got a new graphics card , a pny gforce 16800gt overclocked. 512 mb ram.

it is a great gard, runs cod4 at maxed setting with any probs, temps didnt go above 60 c.

i just thought i would let you know, but you prob wont replay to this either.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Andrew,

TBH I don't think I read this one and if I did I would have certainly at least tried to help you but would have had you cleaning and reinstalling drivers all for not, in the end you made a wise choice in replacing the card, they are complex pieces of hardware that when go bad leave all kinds of symptoms that are hard to diagnose and are very confusing.

Sorry, sure hope next time I can be of some help

andrew brunner

andrew brunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Andrew,

TBH I don't think I read this one and if I did I would have certainly at least tried to help you but would have had you cleaning and reinstalling drivers all for not, in the end you made a wise choice in replacing the card, they are complex pieces of hardware that when go bad leave all kinds of symptoms that are hard to diagnose and are very confusing.

Sorry, sure hope next time I can be of some help

thank you, im glad i had to get a new card(except the spending money part.lol), it works alot better, and alot quieter.

Edited by andrew brunner, 06 February 2008 - 10:03 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Hi there,

Comments like this really aren't necessary. This is a website offering free help from volunteers. There are quite a few threads here and there that get overlooked, for this reason the waiting room was created. Did you post in the waiting room?

All the same, I agree with Doby and I'm glad you fixed it, the Radeon 1600 Pro is an older card, although I'm not exactly sure what the PNY GeForce 16800GT is either.

I hope we can help you a little better next time, and if it's been three days without a reply, give us a yell in the waiting room :)

Troy

andrew brunner

andrew brunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Hi there,

Comments like this really aren't necessary. This is a website offering free help from volunteers. There are quite a few threads here and there that get overlooked, for this reason the waiting room was created. Did you post in the waiting room?

All the same, I agree with Doby and I'm glad you fixed it, the Radeon 1600 Pro is an older card, although I'm not exactly sure what the PNY GeForce 16800GT is either.

I hope we can help you a little better next time, and if it's been three days without a reply, give us a yell in the waiting room :)

Troy

im sorry i wasnt in a good mood when i wrote that(wasn't geekstogo's fault)
i didn't know about the waiting room. thanks for telling me about it.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No worries,

I should have added the link in my post also, just in case somebody reads this thread and can't find it. I believe you need to be logged in to see this one.

Waiting Room Link

Cheers

Troy