Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

corrupt file/mouse port does not work

• Please log in to reply

mcdudley11

mcdudley11

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My daughter has an HP pavillon desktop a1600n. She turned her computer on and received a blank screen with the following message: windowsroot>/system32/ntoskrnl.exe. I ordered the recovery disks from HP and installed and rebooted and received the same message. I contacted HP again and they instructed me to wipe the hard drive, which I did and reinstalled the recovery and rebooted and the same error came back. I noticed the mouse port does not work. I have to use a mouse with a USB. I tried several different mice and none of them worked. I do not know if this failure has caused the problem. The computer did not come with a XP disk. I tried to copy the needed file from my computer and I received an error message. Where do I go from here? Do I install a new hard drive? Do I install a new operating system? Depending on the cost, would I be better off buying a new computer. I am not worried about any files. There was nothing on there but pictures.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
Check in the BIOS setup, as some have an option to enable or disable PS/2 mouse, and
it may have turned off.

Another possibility is that the PS/2 port has died. This can happen from an
electrical surge, most often happens from unplugging and re-plugging the PS/2 mouse
while the computer is ON. What usually happens is the tiny fuse on the motherboard
behind the PS/2 port will burn out. Unfortunately, it is soldered to the
motherboard, making its replacement not something for a do-it-yourselfer or even for
the average computer tech.

I have seen this occur a few times with a keyboard port, but not yet with a mouse
port. does your keyboard work in the other port?

Edited by krmooo, 24 January 2008 - 11:06 AM.

mcdudley11

mcdudley11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The keyboard does work. She mentioned that the mouse did not work and I bought her a wireless. I did not connect the two at the time. She does not use the wireless, but uses the mouse my son had for gaming which connects to the computer via a USB. The problem with the mouse occured about 4-6 months ago. The computer problem happened two weeks ago.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
you can try this.....HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Services/i8042prt (group keyboard port) delete the entry. windows will rewrite the entry