Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Please Help, I can't access many files

• Please log in to reply

tanqttnml

tanqttnml

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I hope you guys can help me with a problem on my computer. It is rather hard to explain all the factors around the problem, but I'll try the best and I hope you will be able to help me resolve it. I'm also sorry, I'm very not good with all computer problems, so I hope you won't get upset or anything if some descriptions are not precise.

This morning, when I opened my computer, a Dell with windows xp, my Ad Aware program that always open and run when I log into my account showed up a message about something related to the Registry system modification. But there was something that showed up asking to modify the registry and there was this "accept" / "block" button. I clicked on block to all except for 2 of them, where I accidently clicked accept. The thing is, as I kept clicking on block, another message would show up, but after I clicked accept twice, another message came up, I clicked block, then no more message.

Right after that, I saw that the shortcut icons on my computer changed into this. Also were those on the Quick launch toolbar. I looked around in my computer and found out that none of these files could be accessed (when I click on them, either nothing happens or there's a message that says that there's no program for that file or its location couldn't be found, something like that): File types that can't be accessed: lnk, rnd, reg, wpg, exe, fss, dat, cache, crs, redir, sprite. Those are the files that I've encountered that couldn't be opened, and maybe some more, but I haven't checked every single of them. Then, I thought that restarting the computer might bring everything back, so I did, but I guess that was a very bad Idea to do so.

After restarting the computer, when at the main Windows XP welcome screen, there's some kind of block of message that showed up, but there's nothing in it but some squares and 1 or 2 letters. To close it, there was only one button "OK". Then, I logged in my account. Nothing changed, the icons were still not working. At first, I tried to fix it with what I know. I tried running regedit, but it didn't work, either with "Run..." on the start program or in the task manager by doing ctrl+alt+del. It's as if the program just disappeared. Before that, I had tried the system restore, but clicking on the icon just doesn't work. All .exe files cannot be opened.

That's about all the infos I can remember and give. I tried getting a screenshot, but I couldn't open paint to get the picture. Yet, all music files, video files, word, excel, my computer, my documents, rar files, etc, can still be opened. All the pictures work as well. Like, clicking on them can make some programs work (like winamp or windows media player, etc) but clicking on each of them alone can't make them run. I hope you can help me fix this, I believe that it's just some basic program that is missing to make those files run properly, but I don't have any idea if the problem is just really that. Please Help. Thank you very very much (if I can ever get to get a screenshot, I'll post it on).

~Tanqttnml~

Edited by tanqttnml, 23 January 2008 - 09:36 PM.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
see if this works..press alt cntrl delete. click on the new task button and type explorer.from there open the tools optionand then folder options.click on view and make sure the show hidden files is checked and remember each folders view settings is checked as well. 1. Locate and open the folder that has the view setting that you want to use for all folders.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
3. On the View tab, click Apply to All Folders.
4. Click Yes, and then click OK.
Note To reset all the folders to the default view settings, repeat these steps, but click Reset All Folders in step 3.
hope this helps

tanqttnml

tanqttnml

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm not sure if that method works, but I got my computer fixed by a friend. Still, thank you very much for helping ^^. If the problem ever occurs again, I'll try your method out. Thanks again =D.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Can you tell us what your friend did to fix this? Could be helpful to someone else along the way.

tanqttnml

tanqttnml

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry, it took me a while to reply, I had to ask my friend...

He downloaded some files association on this website: http://dougknox.com:.../file_assoc.htm . Since I couldn't access the EXE and REG files, he downloaded those. Then, follow the note on that website to open regedit. After that, just Import the files unzipped in regedit.
Registry>Import Registry File

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Okay, thanks for the reply. That is the normal fix for file association problems like this.