Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access add/remove programs in control panel

• Please log in to reply

jp17315

jp17315

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi,

I am running W2K service pack 4. Just recently I am unable to access add/remove programs. The window is blank except on the right side it has 4 icons but otherwise the window is blank even after 10min. or more. I am able to access it in safe mode. I have scanned the computer with McAfee, Adaware and spybot just to eliminate any virus or adware problems. Nothing serious showed up.

Appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
switch to windows xp theme and try again

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
Have you upgraded Internet Explorer?
If so please go here.

switch to windows xp theme and try again

I do not think that Windows 2000 has an XP theme.
Please post back and let me know if this has helped.
Thank you.

jp17315

jp17315

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I have not upgraded IE recently. I have version 6 of IE but have had it for quite a few months. I tried going to safe mode with networking logging on as local administrator. Nothing happened. There wasn't any updating or anything like that which was indicated in the knowledge base article. I went to start and windows update and windows update said I didn't have the files necessary or registered on my computer to do a windows update so I told windows update to fix that problem. I thought that was odd as I was able to do that in the past. Well I rebooted and I am still unable to access add/remove programs. One other thing I did do a sfc /scannow and that went ok.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
OK, I am not at a Windows 2000 machine.
Please try one of these two (or both)
  • open task manager
    • right click on the task bar
    • select task manager
  • select file
  • select new task (run)
  • type control panel
  • hit enter
Or
  • click on the start button
  • select run
  • type control panel
  • hit enter
Please let me know what happens.
Thank you.

jp17315

jp17315

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Both instances the control panel window is displayed.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try this, won't hurt, may help:

Click Start then Run. Type REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPL and press Enter or click OK.

Once the registration completes, try Add/Remove, see if it works now.

jp17315

jp17315

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Didn't help.

By the way when the add/remove window displays I can't close the window by clicking on the 'X' to close it or by right clicking it in the task bar I have to log off. Not sure if that helps but can't hurt.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
your correct... xp themes aren't any where to be found in w2k :) see if this will help..To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC
/SCANNOW
i sometimes use a program called easy cleaner you can get it here for free http://personal.inet...rts/ecleane.htm

Edited by krmooo, 24 January 2008 - 11:38 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I am sorry to say that I believe your computer to be infected with Vundo.
I can not advice you on malware problems, but can recommend that you post a Hijackthis log in the malware forum.
Your problem is a symptom of infection. Since you could open control panel by the run command tells me that it is a deeper problem than I can fix.
Thank you.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Could be malware. If not, could be a corrupted account. After you finish with the malware forum, try creating a new account and see if the problem occurs there. If not, post back and we can provide directions for copying your data from the old, corrupted account to the new one.

Pick a name for the new account you can live with in case you edn up keeping it.