I really need some help with this one.
I have a very well updated PC running XP SP2 well patched with IE7.
I have run adaware and spybot and there is nothing wrong on the PC.
After about 10-15 minutes of the PC being on, internet connection is lost, BUT:
I can still telnet to my router so I know I still have an IP
BUT I can't access my router's http admin page (I normally can)
I also can't access any website at all on the web.
I have tried the following:
- Dynamic and Static IP setting
- Uninstalled all VPN and network related software (Cisco VPN, deterministic ...)
- Turned on and off windows firewall and rebooted each time
- Ran all kinds of malware detection and virus scans
- Disabled power management on network card
- Removed the 10 max TCP/IP connection feature of XP
- I've tried different PCs on the same network and they're fine
- Tried ipconfig release and renew
- Tried repair connection
- Tried netsh reset
- Tired FireFox and other browers
- Logging off and back in doesn't help, must restart to fix
I think this might be the problem but can't be sure:
I had a client that forced some updates to all PCs connecting to their network. They were all Microsoft updates but some were unrelated. Anyway, i have like 300 hotfixes that most people probably don't have.
When I revert to an old restore point the problem goes away. But windows insists on updating the OS and the problem returns after updates are applied. (though I am not 100% sure the old restore point fixes it, that's kinda what I remember)
I would REALLY appreciate any suggestions you might have other than what I have already tried. Just posting this message required a retart.