Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

TIM spill on my Q6600 - Have I killed it? Help!

• Please log in to reply

cyberspacegenie

cyberspacegenie

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi,

I had a problem with my motherboard and had to take it out to RMA it. while cleaning off the thermal paste on the top of the CPU I managed to stupidly get some on the underside of the chip (I was holding it in my hand at the time). It was only a small amount. It got onto the area of little metal circles that surround the centre but not into the very centre area of the chip. I cleaned it off as best as I could but you can still see where it landed as one of the metal circles is now slightly discoloured. The thermal paste is MX-2.

Have I destroyed the chip? Am I likely to fry the chip and the motherboard when I put it back together? Is it worth taking the risk or is it better to write it off?

All help appreciated.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Your cpu should be fine so long as you do the following:

(Obviously, do not reinsert the cpu back into the socket before it's completely clean)

1. Get some Articlean (Made by Arctic Silver) or some very high purity isopropyl alcohol and a new toothbrush.
2. Use the brush & the articlean/alcohol to remove the thermal compound from the underside of the cpu. Make sure the cpu is completely dry and clean before reinserting back into the socket.

Make sure you don't touch the cpu pins with your hands etc, as they're sensitive to static damage. Similarly, whenever you put the cpu down, make sure it's on it's back, not on it's pins (unless you're placing it on an anti-static bag for example)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Have I destroyed the chip? Am I likely to fry the chip and the motherboard when I put it back together? Is it worth taking the risk or is it better to write it off?

MX-2 from Article cooling is a ceramic based TIM that does not conduct electricity. It's for this reason among others that I suggest it over Arctic Silver 5. There is no risk of frying anything, but you still need to clean it as Samm suggested.
James

cyberspacegenie

cyberspacegenie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
All sorted, CPU and computer doing well. Thanks so much for your help - it was very greatly appreciated

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome