Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Monitor / CPU Problem - advice please

• Please log in to reply

basils57

basils57

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I've just acquired a computer base unit as a spare for my family.
It was running on a CRT monitor fine from the person I had it from, but when I connected it up to the TFT monitor which I have at home, it doesn't seem to be 'connecting' with it. The monitor standby light - which normally changes from amber to green when the pc is switched on stays amber.
This monitor is working ok if I try it with another m/c.

Any ideas please?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
does it show anything at all at any time? Like when you first turn it on? Can you go to safe mode and make it work? I have come across some that just don't work with some monitors though that is quite rare.... Try a different monitor would be the first thing to try... if you can get it up set the video settings as low as possible and see if you can get anything then....

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Is this a older computer manufacturered before TFT panels became available? My Win 98 and some Win ME computers need drivers to be able to use TFT panels.

SRX660

basils57

basils57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks Guys

Yes SRX660, it is an older computer that was originally supplied with a CRT. It's running Win ME.
Is this the problem, and if so what do you think is the answer , without a monitor as it were?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you can't get a picture up on the screen at any point (i.e. the TFT LED never turns green), then this won't be a driver issue.

You didn't say just how old the computer actually is but I guess it's possible that if it's really old (or more to the point, the video card is really old) then it simply may not be capable of running the TFT. Another possibility (although this is a long shot) is the TFT cable. Obviously the cable works as the monitor works with other computers, but it may be just too long, or too poorer quality to work with this particular computer.

One more thing - you said the computer was working with a CRT monitor originally, but have you actually tested the computer on a CRT monitor since you've had this problem with the TFT? If not, then it could be that something else is wrong and has nothing to do with the TFT monitor at all.

Edited by Samm, 24 January 2008 - 04:45 PM.

basils57

basils57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks Samm, I'm going to get hold of a CRT monitor and try it out - seems to be the sensible thing to do, taking on board your comments about drivers. Will report back in due course.