Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Uninstal?

• Please log in to reply

djames27

djames27

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Having difficulty with Ad-Aware Pro. It will not complete a scan and errors out constantly - the log indicates there have been no completed daily scans for over two weeks.

I will share the screen shot relevant to the incomplete scan error below

The issue I face today - when I attempt to uninstall the program -(intending to reinstall) I receive a message that the program can not uninstall because it can not locate the "installation package" Error message attached.

I attempted to locate the missing MSI file indicated in the error message - it does not appear to be contained anywhere within the drive.

This issue is new to me and comes on the backside of fixing a malware issue ( which GTG helped with !)

any assistance would be appreciated!

JD

Attached Thumbnails

• installer_fault.jpg
  • installer_fault.jpg
  • aawerror.jpg

Edited by djames27, 24 January 2008 - 05:59 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If removing it from the Add/Remove Programs in Control panel didn't work, is the uninstall program listed here:

Start > Programs > Lavasoft > Ad-Aware 2007 > and click on Uninstall Ad-Aware 2007 ?

If neither seem to be working, try un-installing in Safe Mode. Ensure you are using Admin.

Ron

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If that doesn't work, you can sometimes install over the existing installation, then uninstall the whole shebang.

djames27

djames27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Installing over the old did not work, It always attempts to uninstall first..

I tried to uninstall from both the control panel and through start>programs> etc. ....

Next - I will try the safe mode, be back in a few...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
These instructions are for an older version of Ad-Aware but appear to still be valid.

Lavasoft Support Forums

djames27

djames27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Things are not looking so good.

The files indicated in the most recent post do not exist. I copied the file structure in the folder as indicated in the support forum.
Neither "unwise.exe" or unregaaw.exe were located....

Attached Thumbnails

• aaware_menu.jpg

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Strange, they are there on my computer(s). Do a manual uninstall then (modified from the link I gave you).

1. Click on "my computer" and navigate to your Lavasoft Ad-Aware folder (C:\program files\lavasoft\ad-aware usually).

2. Run the file unregaaw.exe can't do this as it's missing

3. Delete the entire ad-aware folder

4. Delete your Lavasoft Ad-Aware link in your start menu (if present)

5. Delete the Ad-Aware icon(s) from your desktop(if present)

6. Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Lavasoft and delete the entire Lavasoft folder.

7. Empty your trash bin

7.a Install RegSeeker. Use it's registry search function to find all occurances of the word lavasoft. Delete them. Make sure you have the box checked to Backup before deletion.. Then if any problems occur (very unlikely) you can restore the deletions.

8. Reboot.

djames27

djames27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
The Saga continues....

Did as advised. Ad Aware continues to show-up in the windows add/delete programs even after deleting all references and running the reg seeker. AdAware is not located anywhere else e.g. root C windows programs etc.

Every time I attempt to reinstall or uninstall - the same error is displayed.

I am at a complete loss as to what to do at this point

Edited by djames27, 02 February 2008 - 12:46 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, give the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility a try, see iff it helps:

You can download this utility here:

http://download.micr...1BD/msicuu2.exe

See the information on this web page for help:

Visit My Website

djames27

djames27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
OK - your pretty good....

I was able to finally complete the uninstall.

quick note - The first time I ran miscuu2.exe it did not work as expected. I ran the installer cleanup process and thought I should cold-boot after completion to clear everything out... When windows restarted, somehow the adaware error persisted.

The second attempt - I did not restart the PC after running the installer process and completed the ad aware uninstall directly after I ran Miscuu2.exe

To my surprise - It reinstalled!

NOW---- back to the original problem.... ad aware will not complete a scan, it runs for a lengthy time period and then errors out. This is why I originally wanted to reinstall...

I will run this by the Lava soft board, unless you have any ideas?

BTW - I thank you kindly for assisting me with the uninstall process.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Glad I could help. Thanks for letting me know.

If Lavasoft can't (or won't) help, come back here and we'll beat on it till it's fixed or you decide it's not worth the effot and uninstall it for good :)

djames27

djames27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
As expected -lava soft is unable/unwilling to assist...

Ad-Aware 2007 Version 7.0.2.6 will not complete a scan - it continues to hang when it reaches a section indicated as layered service provider.

The program will sit for days without completing.

Attached are the error messages .

Any thoughts?

JJD

Attached Thumbnails

• adaware_error_040408.jpg
  • adaware_hang_spot.jpg

Edited by djames27, 04 April 2008 - 01:53 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Will your anti-virus program do a complete scan? What about Spybot Search and Destroy?

If there is file system corruption, that can cause a problem like this.

Run chkdsk:
Open My Computer.
Right click on drive: and select Properties (drive: is any drive)
Click on the Tools tab then the Check now button.
Check the "Automatically fix File System errors" box.

For C: you will get a window that says the check could not be performed ....
Do you want to schedule this disk check to run the next time you restart the computer?
Click on Yes.

Shutdown and reboot. Let chkdsk complete undisturbed.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Having difficulty with Ad-Aware Pro. It will not complete a scan and errors out constantly - the log indicates there have been no completed daily scans for over two weeks.

I will share the screen shot relevant to the incomplete scan error below

The issue I face today - when I attempt to uninstall the program -(intending to reinstall) I receive a message that the program can not uninstall because it can not locate the "installation package" Error message attached.

I attempted to locate the missing MSI file indicated in the error message - it does not appear to be contained anywhere within the drive.

This issue is new to me and comes on the backside of fixing a malware issue ( which GTG helped with !)

any assistance would be appreciated!

I hope adaware works for you. it has'nt been user friendly to others . read these links

http://forums.micros.......90&SiteID=1

http://www.bleepingc...opic137680.html

i would have a backup of registry and restore points

Edited by Mr Freeze, 04 April 2008 - 09:53 PM.