Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player Help. (it wont start up!)

• Please log in to reply

Orange Jacob

Orange Jacob

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Recently, my computer had a huge virus that took me about 2 weeks to get rid of. After that,i installed to Service Pack 2 to my computer, and after that, my Windows Media Player Stopped working. (at the time i had Windows Media Player 10) Every time i tried to start it up, a pop up window came up and said that an "internal Application Has Occurred". So i tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. that did not work. Now I upgraded and got Windows Media Player 11, I installed it and tried running it and....nothing happened. Ive tried almost anything i can think of. I restarted my computer, uninstalled any other media player that was on my computer, everything. But it just wont start up. Even when I try to start it up by clicking on the Music File to start playing right then. but still....nothing happened. I Really Need help because i have a whole bunch of videos that need to be watched!! If you could help me fix the problem, or another program that can play WMV (or WMA) files that would be great!!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Open System in Control Panel and click on the Hardware tab then click on the Device Manager button.

Are there any yellow marks in the Sound, Video and Game Controllers section? If so, what kind of Audio card/chip do you have?

Orange Jacob

Orange Jacob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
There are no yellow marks in that section. but the audio devices are the following if that helps:

Legacy Audio Drivers

Audio Codecs

and

SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

tallin

tallin

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Hello Orang Jacob,

Suggest you go to My Computer > manage > services and application in the left pane > services in the right pane > expand for easier access > then click on startup type and find Windows Audio > highlight it and make sure it is started in the left area.

Then reboot if necessary, and try your Windows Media Player once again. This is a long shot, but just maybe the reason WMP will not start.

Post back if you need more assistance.

kind regards,

Edited by tallin, 26 January 2008 - 06:03 PM.

Orange Jacob

Orange Jacob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Suggest you go to My Computer > manage > services and application in the left pane > services in the right pane > expand for easier access > then click on startup type and find Windows Audio > highlight it and make sure it is started in the left area.

I did all of that but it says that it was already started when i got there. I tried running the program again, but a pop up window came up and said:

"An Internal Application Error Has Occurred"
anything else i should try

tallin

tallin

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Hello Orange Jacob,

Glad you followed and checked in Services, I realised it was a long shot, but sometimes the more simple answers are the fix for any problem. Would you now do the following and post back with results please:

To discover the type of Errors the machine has encountered recently, use Event Viewer.

1. Go to Start - Run > type eventvwr.msc then Press Enter.

2. When the Event Viewer opens, there will be two panes.
The left pane is for event categories (Application, Security, and System).
The right pane is for event messages (Information, Warning, and Error). (We want to find errors.)

3. Left-click the Application category in the left pane and check for any error messages in the right pane.
You want to find the one(s) that occurred at the same time your system encountered the problem you have posted about.

4. Repeat the previous step for each category, or until you find an appropriate error to investigate.

5. Double-click the error message to bring up the information.

6. Click the third button on the right side of the information window (copies information)

7. Paste the information here.

AND

If you are not finding any errors in Event Viewer, I suggest you please do the following:

Windows Protected System File Checker SFC

Start>Run
type:
sfc /scannow (note the space between the c /)
Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.

Here explains SFC in detail for you.

Please post back and tell us how you are getting on after following the above suggestions. Posted Image

kind regards,

PS. If none of the above work for you, I would post a HJT log over in the Malware Forum for a complete checkup.

Orange Jacob

Orange Jacob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 8/16/2007
Time: 6:14:14 PM
User: N/A
Computer: COMPUTERROOM
Description:
Faulting application setup_wm.exe, version 11.0.5721.5146, faulting module wmp.dll, version 9.0.0.3250, fault address 0x000722f1.

Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 73 65 74 ure set
0018: 75 70 5f 77 6d 2e 65 78 up_wm.ex
0020: 65 20 31 31 2e 30 2e 35 e 11.0.5
0028: 37 32 31 2e 35 31 34 36 721.5146
0030: 20 69 6e 20 77 6d 70 2e in wmp.
0038: 64 6c 6c 20 39 2e 30 2e dll 9.0.
0040: 30 2e 33 32 35 30 20 61 0.3250 a
0048: 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 t offset
0050: 20 30 30 30 37 32 32 66 000722f
0058: 31 0d 0a 1..

That is the only one tht i could find that looked like it had something to do with Windows Media Plaer, (what got me was the .EXE file) im not sure why the date is wrong, because WMP stopped working in like december.

Edited by Orange Jacob, 28 January 2008 - 04:31 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hello again OJ :)

Did some searching on this and found this post: http://www.opentechs...ic/27451-1.html

Look at the section in the Quote box. Has a series of registry fixes as well as re-registering the vbscript.dll. This has fixed this problem for several people.

Give it a try and post back with your results.

Before you make any changes to the registry, please back it up. An excellent way to do this is to install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Start menu during the install process. That will allow ERUNT to backup your registry each time you boot. It only takes a few seconds and has no real impact on boot time. Run ERUNT immediately after installing it to create a full registry backup.

Orange Jacob

Orange Jacob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That Worked Very Good. Ill see if WMP 11 Will Work Now. what i ran was WMP9. But anyway thank you very much!!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Glad it helped and thanks for letting me know. I'll add it to my Tips database for future reference :)

Edit: Amazing, already had it there and did not see it, added in Nov of 2006!

Edited by Ztruker, 29 January 2008 - 05:19 PM.