Computer will only start up if AC cord plugged in.
In the Control Panel, the power meter will only show that it's on AC. If I unplug the unit, the power meter does not recognize that it's running on a battery[it used to before]; just shows AC and charging. I cannot find out what percent battery life there is (or estimated life) because the power meter won't read it. If left unplugged, the battery runs down in about an hour when it used to be good for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Battery is not old enough to be unchargeable or that weak as to run down within the hour.
I've never seen anything like this- where do I start?
No virus is reported. Anti-virus up to date.