Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power meter and Power problems

• Please log in to reply

GregMiller

GregMiller

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Toshiba satellite running XP SP2 Celeron CPU 2.60 GHz 240 MB RAM

Computer will only start up if AC cord plugged in.

In the Control Panel, the power meter will only show that it's on AC. If I unplug the unit, the power meter does not recognize that it's running on a battery[it used to before]; just shows AC and charging. I cannot find out what percent battery life there is (or estimated life) because the power meter won't read it. If left unplugged, the battery runs down in about an hour when it used to be good for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Battery is not old enough to be unchargeable or that weak as to run down within the hour.

I've never seen anything like this- where do I start?

No virus is reported. Anti-virus up to date.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Without knowing exact model you have, this info on battery life:

It's powered by a 6-cell rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which has a battery life of up to 3 hours (depending on usage). You'll get up to 8 hours of battery life with the optional 12-cell lithium-ion battery. This was on the HP Pavilion dv1510us 14" Laptop (Intel Celeron M Processor 380, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive).

You could have either a problem with the battery charger or the batteries. Easily checked by inserting fresh, ful;ly charged batteries. Check that all your battery Options for laptop are set to what you want.

Ron

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I'm not so concerned with the fact that I might need a new battery. Apparently the battery is charging. The problem I'm concerned with is that the unit is not recognizing that there is a charging fuction.

I used to be able to see the power meter read "battery" the moment I unplugged the AC cord.

Even when I know I have battery life, the unit won't power up without the AC cord plugged in.

For instance, if it can run for 4 minutes on battery alone but I unplug the AC cord and turn the unit off. If I then try to power on within a few minutes, it won't start wthout the cord. There has to be enough juice to start it. It did that when there was only 3% left--it would still start. No now.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Think you missed my point. The battery can not be charging to full capacity if it does not power laptop like it did when new. A battery has to reach a full current capacity to properly supply the power to run a device. It probably is getting a partial charge which is not enough to run the laptop very long nor to provide battery sensing level values to the Power Meter.

I'm not too sure, but the metering circuit is probably reading a voltage drop across a low ohm resistor which depends on the current through it. If not enough current to power laptop is available, neither is there enough to provide current for meter to sense. There are several ways to sense "power" levels, but I don't have a schematic for latest circuit used.

Ron