Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Broadband Connection Drops out After 3 or so Hours...everytime..

• Please log in to reply

Waverley73

Waverley73

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am currently using a PC at my in-laws house (it's hooked up to a modem (NetComm NB5 ADSL2+ Modem Router) which in turn is hooked up to another PC). We are on a broadband connection and when I boot my PC up I have access to the internet no problems. After around 3 hours the connection drops out (no web pages load on Internet Explorer and Windows Messenger drops out). The thing is the modem still has all the same lights on and when I go to Network Connections it says I'm still connected. The other PC which is also hooked up to this modem never has this problem.

If I unplug the modem and turn it off and then re-plug it all back in it still doesn't re-connect. The only thing that makes it re-connect is if I restart my PC. What is going on here?

I am on Windows XP with all the latest updates. I used to have this PC at home and it never used to do this on my broadband connection. My brother-in-law used to have his PC hooked up the same way as mine is now and he never used to have this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
This is worth a try:

Since uninstalling TCP/IP in XP is impossible, here's a way to reset it.

Click on START then on RUN.

Type this: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Hopefully this will help. is this d s l or cable ?

Waverley73

Waverley73

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

This is worth a try:

Since uninstalling TCP/IP in XP is impossible, here's a way to reset it.

Click on START then on RUN.

Type this: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Hopefully this will help. is this d s l or cable ?

Hey mate,

Sorry for my delayed reply - someone else from another site is stepping me through some troubleshooting on this now. I will see how it goes and if no good might come back here.

Thank you for replying.

Cheers.