Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a PC for dual boot

• Please log in to reply

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I'm looking at building a computer from scratch, and I wanted to clear up a few things.

What hardware is needed for dual booting two different OS's?

Theoretically, what I want to do is have a PC (XP, Vista, or both) with performance parts for gaming and video editing, but I also want to be able to run Apple OS X (whatever the latest one is). The thing that I'm concerned with is if some of the components will or will not be compatible with OSX.

Are there certain things, concerning running OSX, that I should be looking for when I make my list?

Also, what are the best, yet still cost-effective parts to use in regards to:
Quad Core
Graphics
Mobo

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just build a normal computer, the only difference is that you're going to make two partisions.

but I also want to be able to run Apple OS X

This cannot be done on a home made computer.

Also, what are the best, yet still cost-effective parts to use in regards to:

Quad core: Q6600
Graphics: HD3850, if you're really into gaming you may want to purchase something a bit better. If you can wait, it seems nVidia might be releasing a great card in this price range on febuary 14th.
Motherboard: P35-DS3L from Gigabyte.

James

Edited by james_8970, 24 January 2008 - 11:33 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

If you can wait, it seems nVidia might be releasing a great card in this price range on febuary 14th.

Make that the 21st... apparently the release of the 9600GT was pushed back a week to fix some problems. But I'd also recommending waiting on it, as not only should it have equal or greater performance to the HD3850, but it also should come in at about $40 cheaper than the 512MB edition of the HD3850.

Here are some new (non-Chinese, James :)) benchmarks of the 9600GT:

Posted Image
Posted Image

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
At least the finally post the card with the HD3850 512mb. Though I cannot see it selling for $40 less than the HD3850 512mb version as that's $140, nVidia would be shooting themselves in the foot unless the launch of their new series of cards are really good. But that's still to far away to really talk about.
Again, I won't suggest anything till a reputable site posts something :)
James