Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't delete file - Think my computer is infected [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Unzip IceSword.exe to it's own folder

Then run IceSword.exe

When it loads up you will see a button called File at the bottom left

Click that then do the rest of the steps

Let me know if you have any problems

Advertisements

Kinard2005

Kinard2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have run the IceSword program 12 hours ago and so far it has not come back. Let's hopes this is working.... :)

-Kinard

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Good to hear

Go ahead and delete the IceSword folder to be safe

Let me know if it stays gone and if I can close the thread :)

Kinard2005

Kinard2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
WOW...

This folder will NOT stay gone. Three days and nothing then today, just as I was about to close this thread, it's back. There was nothing I did different. Hmmm....

-Kinard

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I have a feeling some program is causing it to respawn, if that is the case then it will come back no matter what we do, and will be impossible to find out what is causing it.

Try this

Right click on the folder, click Properties, under Attributes, uncheck all the boxes, accept any prompts, then try delete the folder.

If that fails, try those same instructions again in Safe Mode.

I have a feeling you will have to live with the folder. You could try move it somewhere so it wouldn't be in the way.

Kinard2005

Kinard2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sorry...been busy at work.

I guess we might as well end this topic, this folder just doesn't seem to want to stay gone. I'm trying to remember what programs I use right before it keeps reappearing but it's so random.

Oh well..
Thanks for all your help. Feel free to message me if you ever think of anything else that might work.

-Kinard

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Well the tools we have used can delete any file or folder, so there has to be some program bringing it back each time you restart. If you can find what program or process is doing this then we can remove it properly. However this is like finding a needle in a hay stack.

Anyway sorry we couldn't remove it :)

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.