Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my xp control panel vaporized

• Please log in to reply

volindistress

volindistress

• Pip
  • 4 posts
help! our control panel has been vaporized!

I recently discovered viral and spyware problems on my daughter's pc. I ran a free adware virus program
and it shows the problems (about a 1000 of them) to be now eleminated. Does a free spyware program exist that I could get my hands, or keys on? How do I get my control panel back? I cannot add or remove programs. Anyone who could legitimately help would be appreciated. I am currently unemployed an cannot afford to take the unit in. The operating system is a HP PAVILLION operating with Windows XP. Please help.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
Malware advice may only be provided in the Malware Forum and then only by qualified Malware Staff.

Registry values should be adjusted only AFTER backing up the registry...or at least backing up the keys you are changing.

Edited by wannabe1, 24 January 2008 - 11:52 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello volindistress...

As krmooo alluded to, albeit improperly, this may be the result of an infection and it may not be completely cleaned up by what you have tried thus far.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. Do not reply to or bump your own topic. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

Click Here to start a new topic and paste your log.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, and you may not be, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

volindistress

volindistress

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have really been working on my system utilizing the many tutorials found here.
I have also installed multi layered protection as advised. My problem is resolved
and I am very thankful for your input and support.

Thank You !

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Outstanding!

Thanks for letting us know... :)