Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop getting slower and slower

• Please log in to reply

fourreds

fourreds

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:) Don't have any specific problems (i.e. viruses or worms, etc.) but I do have way too many processes running - 74! (I'm sure many are unnecessary) and need to speed things up a bit. Any help in that department would be greatly appreciated. I'm running a HP Pavilion Laptop 5100 series with AMD Turion 64 @ 1.8 GHz and 512 RAM. Operating system is XP.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use...

fourreds

fourreds

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Happyrck. I've done what you said - disabled about nearly all but 4 of the startups in MSCONFIG and now am down to 50 processes (from 74-76!). Does seem to start up quicker and respond quicker when moving between programs but still not were it was a few months ago. I 'researched' most all (a couple I couldn't find) of my running processes and it seems nearly all were okay and were told not to remove or disable. I ran a Hijackthis log and it was pretty long - but of course, I don't know what I'm looking for either. Is there anything else I can look into?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the next thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system...

then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit

To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, index.dat etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you!Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Click on CCleaner to start it. Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

next get diskeeper lite here...

after installing it...click on the icon...close the "nag" screen...click on your c drive to select it ...then down towards the bottom ...click on defragment now...first time you use it it may take 15 minutes to complete...do it about every two weeks and it will complete in about 7 minutes...
reboot and tell me hows its running...

you do not have to defrag in safe mode with diskeeper lite and its 10 times as fast than the defragger that comes with windows

Edited by happyrck, 25 January 2008 - 05:36 PM.

fourreds

fourreds

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:) Wow! What a difference. The CCleaner took out about 1.5 gigs of garbage. The diskeeper program took about 25 minutes (it had been a long time since I last defragged - I'm sure that didn't help things) but as you say, that was still a lot quicker than the windows defragger runs. I also turned off the indexing as you instructed. The laptop shut down, started up, and is moving between applications and the internet much faster - a great improvement! Unless you recommend anything else that may need to be done, I think you've taken very good care of my problems. Muchas gracias amigo!

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
fourreds,

For future note when using Ccleaner for in case we ever need to troubleshoot please also deselect Minidumps and the Windows Log files. Tech's use those files for troubleshooting purposes.

Edited by tuxmaster, 25 January 2008 - 04:04 PM.

fourreds

fourreds

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Got it! I'll make sure I de-select them in the future.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :)