Same Abit KV7 new problem
Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:22 PM
Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:34 PM
Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:53 PM
So much for history. When I completed the new install on the new drive I couldn't see the old one and realized it must be due to the FAT 32 and NTFS conflict. But when I fired it up, I was given the option of both operating systems and I was able to access the old drive and see all my files fine! I was delighted. I decided all was well and I would install the new dvd drive. Then the problems you have heard started and I was stumped as to what was going on.
Since I did in fact clean the card connections and reseat the video and RAM it has started up fine, except now there is trouble accessing the older drive and I get error messages about possible disk errors and possible viruses and so on. The other drive has many partitions and the OS is only on one of them. I'd like to rescue the desktop files if possible but otherwise I can manage due to the various other options I have. How shall I proceed? The other drive is an SATA and I wonder if that is what I should have put the second OS on with FAT 32 in order to access the old drive partitions. How you like me now? Ciao, Peter
Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:46 PM
Sounds to me like you have a hard drive problem. Try downloading the drive diagnostic utility from the HD manufacturers web site. Create a bootable CD or diskette and run it for awhile, see what it tells you.
Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:35 PM
What is still a problem is the access to a sizable USB hard drive. That access seems to have become intermittent and unreliable and I can't quite figure out why. I get an error message that Windows does not recognize the USB device. It was doing fine and is not all that old. How to gain access at least one last time to back it up? Any ideas? Thanks, Peter
Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:56 PM
I finally removed it from the external enclosure and check it over carefully and found a pushed in IDE connector pin on the drive itself. Very carefully pulled this back and then mounted it as a slave drive in my computer and was aboe to get everything off it I wanted.
I then tried it in the external enclosure again and it would not work. Tried a new 350GB in the enclosure and it works fine so something still weird with the 250GB drive.
Since it worked so well as a slave, I'm going to put it back as a slave and move the 160GB drive it's replacing into my external enclosure.
So, long story short. Take it out of the enclosure and check it over very thoroughly then try it as a slave internally.
Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:10 PM
Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:39 PM
I have a ton of stuff plugged into my UPS, including a power strip. Sounds like I should check mine for low voltage as well.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users