Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

headphone jack problem

• Please log in to reply

hoopsman

hoopsman

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i just got a creative sound blaster audigy se. its a great card, and my speakers sound good. but where the problem lies is the headphone jack on the front of my case. before, i could just plug my headphones into this jack(the headphones are skullcandy skullcrushers, and they work great) and i would be able to listen to audio through my headphones. but now, for some reason or another, i cant listen to audio through them, but i was able to before i got my sound card.
What is going on?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I expect the problem is this....

You said your headphones worked while plugged into the front headphone jack before you got the Audigy, which implies you must have had a sound card in that system prior to the Audigy. I assuming that this would have been an on-board sound card (ie integrated into the motherboard). Most headphone jacks on the front of computer cases are internally connected straight to the motherboard (usually the motherboard's front audio header). This only works if you use the onboard sound card. As you are now using an add-on card (the Audigy), the front headphone jack will no longer work as it's not physically connected to the new sound card.

If this is the case and if you still wish to have a front headphone jack, then probably the simplest solution is something like this:

11_998_814_02.jpg

These types of panels are usually 3.5in (so fit in a spare floppy drive bay) and come with a variety of ports. The one in the picture comes with a cable which you'd plug into the rear headphone jack of your Audigy. This cable then runs back into the computer case through a special bracket which you can position just above or below the sound card & connects internally to the rear of the 3.5in audio panel.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
what is the name of this panel?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

what is the name of this panel?

It seems to vary a bit. The one in the picture is made by Silverstone and called an Audio Panel. I found it on the newegg website under cases -> controller panels.

Hope this helps

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
thanks, but i just decided to return my soundcard, because it wasnt that big of a difference between my 6 channel integrated audio, and it definitely wasnt worth another 20 bucks. i just uninstalled the stuff from the driver cd, and put my realtek AC-97 audio as default so i am going to mail it in tomorrow, but thanks for the help anyway.