Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu problem

• Please log in to reply

Kenb84

Kenb84

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Just got a cpu today bought on ebay AXDA2800KV4D is the number on the back of the cpu i tryed it on a A7V8X-LA Kamet 2 motherboard. What happens is when i turn power on it seems like its going to start up but then after about maybe 1 or 2 seconds it shuts off. i can repeat this with no problems but always get the same result. Could this be a bad cpu? or maybe a compatibility issue? The cpu is 333mhz bus speed and my board sapports 333mhz and is set for 333mhz.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
What you got there is a 2800+ athlon socket A processor and a asus motherboard manufactured oem for compaq. This should work, the first thing you should do is clear the cmos by removing the motherboard battery with the machine unplugged for 10 minutes.

Also make sure the cpu's heatsink is mounted correctly, its possible to mount a socket A heat sink in the wrong direction. Make sure the step in the heatsink is facing the part of the socket that says "462" If the heatsink is mounted wrong the motherboard will shut down to prevent damage to the cpu.

Make sure the fan for the cpu is connected to the correct header on the motherboard, if not the board could recognise that no cpu fan is attached and shut down.

Check these first and if still no go then we'll check some other things

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Another possibility is that the CPU was made after the motherboard was made, and therefore you may need to update the BIOS in order to get the motherboard to recognize the CPU. To do this, reinstall the old CPU, then go on HP's website (HP bought Compaq) to find a BIOS update for your board. Once you successfully update the BIOS, then install the new CPU.

However, I would recommend doing the things Doby recommended first.

Edited by stettybet0, 25 January 2008 - 10:26 PM.

Kenb84

Kenb84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok well it seems to be working im using it as we speak but it seems to be unstable for some reason. Soon as i booted up got to desk top, it rebooted after about 30- 60 seconds, came back to desk top and rebooted soon as desk top came up again. now im running and typing this message but not shur how long it will run. what could this be caused from? I know very little about this stuff. but i did put thermal greese on it (thin coating so it didnt get all over) and my heatsink is on correctly. cpu and case fan running good.

I got this from Everest home edition

Temperatures:
Motherboard 34 °C (93 °F)
CPU 35 °C (95 °F)
Maxtor 4R080L0 41 °C (106 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 2109 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.65 V
+3.3 V 3.31 V
+5 V 4.95 V
+12 V 11.25 V
+5 V Standby 4.85 V
VBAT Battery 3.23 V
Debug Info F FF 50 FF
Debug Info T 34 35 255
Debug Info V 67 00 CF B8 B9 BA FF (03)

Far as i can tell its all in good running condition far as temp goes.

Edited by Kenb84, 26 January 2008 - 04:47 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
At 11.25 volts your power supply is no good. I had a AMD 2400 computer that was quite flaky, rebooting at odd times, getting the jitters on screen, etc. I found my 12 volt line was at 11.51 volts, so i replaced it with a thermotake 430 Watt PS and never had the problem again. 12 volt line on the thermotake was at 12.07. Yes, it really does make a big difference with AMD cpu's as to what the 12 volt line is.

SRX660

Kenb84

Kenb84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Wow seriosly? I have another cpu running in at the moment (original cpu) runs at 333 mhz as well, pretty much same cpu just diffrent models. And it dont do this at all, ive never had it do that. But ive figured i needed a diffrent power supply for awile so i wont argue that fact. but reason i figured i need to get one was becouse it aint powerfull enough for my video card. Not becouse i thought it was bad, thats interesting and good to know. But could the rebooting be caused from something else? The tower this cpu is actualy for doesnt have a 12v cord (motherboard dont, power supply does. will this be an issue? im only testing it in this tower as its already is configured for a 166/333 mhz bus and the other is not and is more of a hasle to get into. I dont want to do all that work to just find out its a bad cpu.

*Update*

Well i dont think its a psu issue as i tryed it in the other tower and same thing happend, im guessing this is a bad cpu?

Edited by Kenb84, 26 January 2008 - 10:47 AM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I agree with SRX660, the 12V rail is way to low and can cause all sorts of problems and this psu should not be used again.

But if you tried it in a known working system the cpu must be bad.

Kenb84

Kenb84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Really, stop using it. :S Ive never even noticed any problems with the system, it runs 100% stable at all times and i keep it in on 24/7. Ill defiently will be gettting a new psu now I was gonna wait awile but it sounds like im in bad need of one.

As for the cpu thats what i figured, no big deal i didnt pay much for it and new it was a gamble as to if it would work or not. i was just hoping to get lucky. But guess that didnt happen isntead it dont work and i find out my current system has problems. dam lady luck aint on my side today.

Just wondering what kind of problems or damage could this bad psu cause? Or could have possibly already caused that i cant or havent noticed?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Let me say first that you are reading the voltage in bios and at times can be wrong, software is even worse so if your using software to get these values cross check what it says in bios.

But the best way to check this is with a voltage meter, I like a digital one, so seeing as this psu is not having problems powering a known working rig first,,,,,,,,

check bios for the read outs, each rail should be plus or minus 5% of its value. In other words the 12V should be between 11.4- 12.6. If its on the low end I always replace it. If the bios is detecting a voltage that is below or above then check it with a volt meter to be sure

Edited by Doby, 26 January 2008 - 09:21 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Oh yea and in answer to your question, a psu that is stressed is destined to blow, the effects coud be anything from just not powering on and just needing a psu change to taking major components with it. If your 100% stable its not done anything yet but check it out to be sure its not getting weak

Kenb84

Kenb84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well my bios dont show me voltage levels that i can find only my cpu and case fan speed and cpu temp.
But i can get a tester from my uncle and i will defiantly do that later today.

Thanks for all the help ya all.