Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My [bleep] new pc!

• Please log in to reply

xp 4 life

xp 4 life

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay i've had a okay decent running pc in the past. I think it was about 1.7ghz 512mb with a 100gb hd. My motherboard fried from that computer so i've decided to get the old pc that was in the other room. Then I booted it up to find out this is a ANCIENT [bleep] PC!!!!!!!!! I mean windows XP is barely functioning on here lol..talk about slow. This computer has a Intell Pentium III processor that goes 550mhz!!! With 192 Sd RAM. 10 GB of computer space!!!! THIS IS LIKE [bleep] FOR ME!!! Would i be better off upgrading this computer or just buy a brand new improved one (i was thinking about buying a custom one). I've already decided i would get a 512mb chip to add to the ram..And to solve the hard drive space problem i tried to add my harddrive from the other computer (since they both were ide's) to this one. When i tried to connect the hard drive the computer would just stop trying to recognize both drives. Have no idea what im doing wrong i think theres something you gotta manualy do to the harddrive to make it your primeary slave.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
My recommendations are (in no particular order):

Stop cursing.
Stop using excess exclamation marks.
Buy a new PC, as it would not be cost-effective to upgrade a machine that old.

xp 4 life

xp 4 life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

My recommendations are (in no particular order):

Stop cursing.
Stop using excess exclamation marks.
Buy a new PC, as it would not be cost-effective to upgrade a machine that old.

I thought it might be less expensive to upgrade though. This is what i've had in plan for the upgrade

Intel Celeron D 347 (3ghz) - $45
512MB SD RAM Chip - $20
Maxtor DiamondMax 200GB HD - $50
New DVD Burner - $30

This including my other two hard drives will be about 300gb so i'll be more then good on that note. 3 ghz is a major jump from what's already on here...and i'd say about 704MB RAM is good..i might upgrade to the 1gb chip. This is less that a $200 upgrade. And I might pay someone a good $50 to install everything properly so i won't mess anything up. Any suggestions???

I also need help installing my old HD to make it my slave drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello xp 4 life...

I'm with stettybet0 on all counts.

I seriously doubt that your motherboard will support the CPU you're planning to use...it just doesn't have the FSB speed or the architecture to handle it. You'd be far better off starting from scratch and either build or buy a new one.

Trying to upgrade that relic is just going to end up putting you through one headache after another.

There are jumpers on the rear of the HDD that will change it's configuration to Slave, Master, or Cable Select. You'll have to check the manufacturer's documentation to see which position is which for your drive. You should be able to get that information from their website.

wannabe1

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Hi xp 4 life
I also agree with stettybet0 and wannabe1. A new unit even the cheapest one will be much better than what you want to upgrade.
You did not post what is the model of your PIII. I do not think that the MOBO will support a PIV Processor. Does the MOBO have a socket?

Adding memory will help with the speed but remember that the bus is only so fast.

Here is a hard Drive picture on it you will see in the side where the jumper goes. On the hard drive it has a diagram of haw to set it to master or slave.

Edited by vally, 27 January 2008 - 07:27 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
trying to upgrade that system is like putting lipstick on a pig...a severely crippled pig at that...
save the money

xp 4 life

xp 4 life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi xp 4 life
I also agree with stettybet0 and wannabe1. A new unit even the cheapest one will be much better than what you want to upgrade.
You did not post what is the model of your PIII. I do not think that the MOBO will support a PIV Processor. Does the MOBO have a socket?

Adding memory will help with the speed but remember that the bus is only so fast.

Here is a hard Drive picture on it you will see in the side where the jumper goes. On the hard drive it has a diagram of haw to set it to master or slave.

I've never noticed that thanks a lot. But yeah i'm just going to get a new pc like y'all said. Desktop pc's are extremely low now. I can get me a 2ghz + system with about 2gb's of ram with about 200gb hd for under $400 now. Didn't realize that...thanks for the help everyone.