Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Temperature Range

• Please log in to reply

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
I have two reference laptops here on my bench.
Dell Inspiron 8500 (6 years old) 39* C (CPU) and 44*C (hard drive)
Dell Inspiron 6400 (2 years old) 29* C (CPU) and 25*C (hard drive)

Both operating with moderate load of multiple IM and browser windows open
Measurements via Everest

I have a fellow who is telling me his Dell Inspiron 8500 runs with temperature 72* C and 75*C
He says he can get the temps down in the mid- 50*C with a 12" desk fan blowing on it somehow.

Another fellow is trying to tell the first person that

as long as you're under 100 degrees Celsius, you're fine. Seeing load temps of 70-79 aren't unusual, but if it cracks the 80 barrier, that's when you should get a little worried

Therefore he is insisting that the first person "does not" have a temperature problem.

I've read articles about laptop GPU's running at neighborhood 80*-100*C, but the articles where written about various methods to reduce that temperature range at least down to 50*C

I've never seen recommendation saying laptop temperatures in the 70*'s range are just fine/no problem.

So what do you all say?
What are ordinary and safe Temperatures for Laptops
Under Moderate load
Under Heavy (gaming?) load

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I like to see lap tops idle at about 30*C to 40*C

Under normal load, 35*C to 45*C

Under heavy load 45*C to 55*C

When they hit 60*C, it's time to get a cooler under them. Depending on the lappy, critical temperature can be anywhere from 65*C to 85* and I've seen them toast the CPU at around 70*C on more than one occasion.

GPU's will usually stand a little more heat, but it's best to keep any chip or chipset under 60*C if at all possible.