Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Hangs when I insert USB External Hardrive

• Please log in to reply

Alantrini

Alantrini

• Pip
  • 5 posts
XP Hangs when I insert USB External Hardrive

Hi
I have a problem.
I usually back up my data regularly on an external USB Hardrive.
Recently I switched from Norton AV 2008 to NOD32 Antivirus.

I tried today to plug in my Ext Hardrive and I notices the Computer Hangs and the cursor changed to an hour glass and that I cant access anything , No explorer, not even alt+ctrl+del to see what is not responding.
Only a reboot wud start it back up. and when this tim I treid to plug it in from the front USB of the PC...it did recognised a USB device but shortly after Hanged again.
I first thought it was the NOD32 A/V so I disabled it.
I restarted again and it did the same thing...Hung again after inserting the USB Hardirve.
So I rebooted again and did a complete Virus scan and all report came up clean.
I tried going into control Panel and Device manager and it said that all USB were working fine, I hit alt+ctrl+del to see the Taskmanger and opening Explorer.... But when I plugged in the Ext Hardive Taskmanger show COntrol Panel "Not responding" and XP hung once again with the Hour glass...and Explorer did not show the Ext drive.

I really need to access the USB Ext H/drive since I have valuable data on it that I need to retrieve.
Prior to swirching from Norton to NOD32, the USB Ext H/Drive Worked fine.
Im Running Win XP SP2, The motherboard is a MSI K9, with 4 USB port built on in the back and 2 USB connections in the front., AMD 3200 64bit, 1 Gb RAM.
Please let me know if u need anymore info.

What can possibly be wrong?

Thanks in advance....for any help rendered.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have 4 external USB drives here and have found that i cannot trust any of them for long term storage. So far, 2 standard drives and a laptop drive have quit working on me even though i do not think i am being a rough handler of them. So now i no longer use them for long term storage. I do use them when i need to reinstall windows on a system because it easier than fixing the problem. Long term storage i now use DVD's as they are down to about 23¢ per disk.

Just my opinion but thats my experience.

SRX660