Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Upgrade - 1GB Limit?

• Please log in to reply

arivs727

arivs727

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, I had went to Crucial's website because I found that their website scans your computer to suggest memory upgrades. It said I had the following for a HP Compaq Pavilion zv5200 series:

Maximum Memory Capacity: 1280MB
Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
Available Memory Slots: -1
Number of Banks: 1
Dual Channel Support: No
CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
CPU Family: AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3200+ Model 4, Stepping 10
CPU Speed: 797 MHz

Currently installed memory:

256MBDDR PC2700, 256MBDDR PC2700
Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

Does this mean that the only thing I can do is either buy 1GB to replace my two 256MB only able to use one slot or buy 2 x 512MB, either option for a maximum of 1080MB? I got confused because it says I have two slots, each with a max of 1GB but 1GB is the max.

What other component or upgrade would I need to do if I wanted to upgrade to 2GB of memory?

Thank you in advance!!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You may find that installing 2 -1gig sticks of memory will still only show 1 gig of memory in the computer. This is a BIOS thing that perhaps a upgrade will let the computer see 2 gigs. The caveat here is that a bad bios upgrade can leave the computer completely dead.

SRX660