Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PSU choosing?

• Please log in to reply

Lehmo

Lehmo

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
hi

OK, so I've become really quite interested in computer building lately and I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to build my first PC - if my wallet will let me. I remember as a younger kid (I'm only 16) playing games like age of empires and the sims etc. As i get older though, so does my crappy computer, which obviously isn't going to support games like Half-Life and Crysis. So I've gone and researched it all, its quite fascinating when you think about it - just a box of wires producing this amazing thing on the screen. Ive got to the end of choosing all the main parts, CPU, M.B. etc but I'm not sure what type of PSU to get, its a fairly average gaming PC and i don't want to go over the top with a lot of power - just enough should be good. Heres what I've got...

CPU - Athlon 64 X2 3800+ -Heatsink is Zalman CNPS8700
M.B. - Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
RAM - Corsair XMS2 2GB (twin)
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracudda 7200 320GB
Graphics Card - nVidia GeForce 7100GS 256MB
Monitor - will be LCD 17"

If you could also recommend a cd drive, if i need fans or not and/or suggestions for the setup ive got.

THANKS so much if you can help. Lehmo.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
You are going to want to look at a different CPU and definitely a different graphics card if you are wanting to play games like Crysis. Perhaps give us your budget, and we can help you pick some better parts and a PSU too. :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If this from a 3rd party manufacturer?
James

Lehmo

Lehmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
thanks, my budget is about $AU700-800 possibly more if needed. Maybe a good modded case that comes with a PSU? Yes, i was having a bit of trouble choosing a graphics card because it was one of the last things i chose, i didn't have much left in my budget you see.

If this from a 3rd party manufacturer?
James

Is that the PSU or the system? I'll be buying the parts online probably, not sure where from yet.

Thanks, Lehmo

Lehmo

Lehmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Is there a good australian website?

Edited by Lehmo, 26 January 2008 - 10:50 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Lehmo, plenty of good places, it just depends where you are.

I'm on the Gold Coast, I personally shop at Umart, they also do postage as an added cost. I pick it up and save the $$$ myself. I have also ordered online from AUSPCMarket, postage was included in their slightly higher prices, but overall it was a good buy and I was very happy with the service.

Also you can check out some price comparison websites, just type in the specific make/model of the component and it will tell you the various shop prices for the item :) A good way to check if you're getting ripped off or not.

Shopbot
StaticIce

Check those sites out, they should have more than enough for your needs.

Troy

Lehmo

Lehmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
thanks troy, that'll be a great help, im in little old adelaide so not really sure that theres much but Umart sounds good, ill check it out.

thanks

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That's cool, I used to live in Strathalbyn for a little while, but I had no job at the time, so I didn't get very acquainted with the PC shops at all :)

Troy

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
pc case gear is the single greatest Australian online computer store I can find. Great prices, and $10 postage no matter what, to where I live at least (you have to be in Victoria, sorry!).

Scorpion Technology are a nice (melbourne based - again) store too. They're a bit more expensive than pc case gear, but they have different stock. I just ordered >$1000 of hardware from between these two stores (I'm 16 too :)).

Anyway, if you're looking to build a gaming rig, the video card is everything (when I say everything, I don't really mean it. To make a good gaming rig, you want everything to be of high quality).

700-800 is a bit stretched if you're looking for a full upgrade. I spent around $1100 on a case, power supply, ram, motherboard and video card.

As for video cards...
I just ordered this. It's not too expensive, and if you're not scared of overclocking, it will be one of the better 8800GT choises (Has a larger fan, and cooling hole thingos are larger than on standard 8800GTs).

Might be a bit too expensive for your budget, but I find video cards to be very important.

Edited by Seltox, 27 January 2008 - 12:45 PM.

Lehmo

Lehmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I checked it out, i bit over my budget but i do realise how important it could be so... I'll just have to work a few extra shifts :)

matthew staton

matthew staton

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

hi

OK, so I've become really quite interested in computer building lately and I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to build my first PC - if my wallet will let me. I remember as a younger kid (I'm only 16) playing games like age of empires and the sims etc. As i get older though, so does my crappy computer, which obviously isn't going to support games like Half-Life and Crysis. So I've gone and researched it all, its quite fascinating when you think about it - just a box of wires producing this amazing thing on the screen. Ive got to the end of choosing all the main parts, CPU, M.B. etc but I'm not sure what type of PSU to get, its a fairly average gaming PC and i don't want to go over the top with a lot of power - just enough should be good. Heres what I've got...

CPU - Athlon 64 X2 3800+ -Heatsink is Zalman CNPS8700
M.B. - Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
RAM - Corsair XMS2 2GB (twin)
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracudda 7200 320GB
Graphics Card - nVidia GeForce 7100GS 256MB
Monitor - will be LCD 17"

If you could also recommend a cd drive, if i need fans or not and/or suggestions for the setup ive got.

THANKS so much if you can help. Lehmo.

here a good rig I just bulit one
http://www.tigerdire...BM-680ILT-E4500 Can over clock it later!!!
Motherboard and cpu $220
WD 320 gb hard drive $85
nividia 8600 gt $120
750 watt psu $70 ultra
dvd burner $30 lite on
cpu fan $20 coolmaster
2g of ddr2 800 memory $65 ocz or patriot

Looks good to me here. Cheap and be a nice rig IMO

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi matthew staton,

this recommendation is irrelevant as the Australian market gives us different pricing for components.

Troy.

matthew staton

matthew staton

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Hi matthew staton,

this recommendation is irrelevant as the Australian market gives us different pricing for components.

Troy.

oops ya your right there troy. It was a little late. I did not read the post all the way . Good rig for the USA thoe :) :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Good rig for the USA thoe

Depending on the use of the machine... I wouldn't use it for gaming, and I wouldn't trust an Ultra PSU either... Or a Coolermaster CPU fan...

But now we're getting off-topic :)

Troy