Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Starting XP

• Please log in to reply

Rickles

Rickles

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi,

After an issue with sfc /scannow I am having trouble getting the computer to start.

When it does not start I get:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

When I put the XP disk in and press enter nothing happens.

Help!.. :)

Regards

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

After an issue with sfc /scannow

what kind of issue...all the details...

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi,

When I tried sfc /scannow the message was to put in the XP CD (paid for and registered with Microsoft)but would not let me change the drive. So I came to Geeks to Go.

I was told, by reply to copy a folder ( I cannot remember the name, I something?)from the disc and place it in C Drive and then to change the registry command so that the computer knew where to find the new folder.

After that no problems with sfc /scannow.

But the last week the computer will start normally or just refuse to boot for a couple of days.

The message is , on the bottom of the screen, Press Tab which then canges to Boot Disk Failure when I press the Tab Button.

regards

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
that reply was probably me...its the i386 folder...
lets run a chkdsk on the drive...

Chkdsk is a utility designed to check the integrity of the data on a computer's hard disk drive as well as find and fix errors which could corrupt such data.

Running chkdsk on your Windows XP or 2000 system can repair minor Windows problems

There are several different methods that can be used to run chkdsk
start with this one..... chkdsk c: /p
1. Click the Start button then... Run
2. In the Run window's Open box... type in ... cmd
3. Click OK and an MS-DOS-style black screen will appear in a new window
4. Run chkdsk by typing one of the the following commands where the cursor is blinking...
chkdsk c: /p and then press ...ENTER...

This is a short test that will tell you whether or not a longer test is needed. If after the test is done and a message ...One or more errors detected on the volume... appears then proceed to one of the next options.. read them both first

1. Click the Start button then... Run
2. In the Run window's Open box... type in ... cmd
3. Click OK and an MS-DOS-style black screen will appear in a new window
4. Run chkdsk by typing one of the the following commands where the cursor is blinking...
chkdsk c: /f /r and then press ...ENTER...

typing chkdsk c... /f /r will both fix errors and recover lost data. Running chkdsk with both the /f and /r options can often take a considerable amount of time depending upon the size of your hard drive and the amount of data stored on it

OR
chkdsk c: /f and then press ...ENTER...

Typing chkdsk c: /f will only fix errors that are encountered but its much faster

5. With either command, a message will appear that says...chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>"
6. Type y (for "yes") and then press ...ENTER...
7. A message will appear that will say...This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts
8. Type exit and then press ...ENTER...
9. Reboot the computer as you normally would and chkdsk will automatically begin running after your reboot... While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage.
You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi,

Unfortunatley I will have to wait until it decides to boot up as I only get to the first screen.

I did try a floppy bootup disc but after a lot of data on the screen it has:

A:\

but I don't know what to type.

Regards

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi,

The computer has just started up but the funny thing was that it wanted reactivation.
I managed to do this by telephone so now I'll print your instructions and will reply as soon as I have done this.

regards

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi,

After I typed in chkdsk c:/p I got 'Invalid Command".

So I then typed in chkdsk c: /f/r and the computer went into the program.

I left it running and returned just in time to see it rebbot itself.

Regards

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The /p parameter for chkdsk is only valid from the Recovery Console. /f /r as you entered is what you want when XP is booted.

Your last post said "I left it running and returned just in time to see it rebbot itself."

Is that a good reboot or a bad one?

Did chkdsk complete? If you're not sure, run it again and watch it. Boring I know, but you need to know what is happening.

If chkdsk doesn't resolve the problem, you need to boot the Recovery Console by booting your XP CD and entering R at the first opportunity. Enter fixboot. If that doesn't help then try fixmbr.

If none of those help then your drive could be defective. Go to the drive manufacturers web site and download the diagnostic utility and run it, see what it tells you abut the condition of the drive.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Sorry for the delay in replying to you.

The computer just would not boot so I gave it to my friendly IT repair man.

Result was that the power supply was not working and was terminal so in went a new one.

All is well, for now anyway.

Would I need to open a new subject as Windows Defender has spat the dummy and refuses to update even after following the so called fix on the Microsoft website.

Regards

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
then use the add/remove in the control panel to completely uninstall it...then reinstall it
if you want other options...go here... for all the Recommended Programs by spywarewarrior...you will have to scroll a ways down to get to the recommended programs

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi,

Sorry about the delay but after getting the computer running the local telephones lines stopped working due to flood rains.

I am downloading Defender now and before instaling it I will delete the 'old' one.

I'll get back to you soon.

Regards

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi,

What a bad day, I must have injured an ancient asian man or killed a few black cats

I delete the 'old' Defender and reinstalled a new copy from the recommended web site but it still doesn't want to download the updates.

I got the error message: Windows Defender Definitions haven't been updated.

So I then loaded Spybot and ran it and all was ok for a few minutes until Spybot message that I had a virus.

The desktop picture changed to a blue screen and when I went into Properties all of the desktop Picture Titles were 'greyed' over and none would respond to clicking.

I ran AVG and it could not find anything so now I have uninstalled Spybot and Defender's icon has an exclamation mark on a yellow circle on the icon.

Regards

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Please go to the malware forum Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here...