Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't Run Antivirus Software after Malware Removal

• Please log in to reply

Blown

Blown

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I've been redirected here by Rorschach112, who helped me remove a bunch of malware from my pc.

After removal I installed AntiVir, but when I try runnig it, I get promted that this is "not an allowed Win32 Application".

I tried installing AVG and get the error: Action failed for file avgamsvr.exe: starting service....error 1053...

Windows Updates can't be installed either. The error message says something like "The integrity of the files needed for the installation couldn't be verified. Make sure the cryptographic service is runnig". (I don't get them in English, so I dont know what the exact wording in English is).

I also get a Dial-Up 623 error, but I guess this is different from the above.

Does somebody know what's wrong and what I can do?

Thank you!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
First question. Do you have a XP CD? If yes, run System File Checker to see if there are any damaged or missing XP files:

Put the CD in the CD drive, then click on Start then Run, type sfc /scannow and press Enter or click OK.

Blown

Blown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I got a Product Recovery CD-Rom and a Support & Application CD.

I ran sfc /scannow with the recovery CD, but nothing happened. Am I supposed to get a message or a log?
How do I know if something's wrong?
I rebooted when the scan was done and tried installing AVG again, but it didn't work.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Did you check to see if the Cryptographic Service is running?

I've also seen a few reports where the system date being wrong can cause these kinds of errors.

Blown

Blown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
System time is ok, cryptographic service seems to be running too, - but now I remember deleting a file which was called something with "cryptographic" when I was trying to get my pc clean on my own... I thought it was malicious... but I don't know what exactly the file was called...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

System time is ok, cryptographic service seems to be running too, - but now I remember deleting a file which was called something with "cryptographic" when I was trying to get my pc clean on my own... I thought it was malicious... but I don't know what exactly the file was called...

sounds like your going to have to repair xp now...go here and follow the instructions...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Before doing the Repair Install, check to see if you have the following files on your boot drive. The ones shown below are from my XP Pro+SP2 system with all the latest Windows Updates applied.

In C:\windows\system32

08/04/2004 07:00 AM 597,504 crypt32.dll
08/04/2004 07:00 AM 74,752 cryptdlg.dll
08/04/2004 07:00 AM 33,280 cryptdll.dll
08/04/2004 07:00 AM 53,760 cryptext.dll
08/04/2004 07:00 AM 63,488 cryptnet.dll
08/04/2004 07:00 AM 60,416 cryptsvc.dll
08/04/2004 07:00 AM 512,512 cryptui.dll

If any are missing, you should be able to copy them from C:\windows\system32\dllcache

You may have to boot the Recovery Console from your XP CD to do this, not sure. Try it while XP is booted first.

Make sure you have Folder Options set to show all files:

Open Control Panel / Folder Options / View tab.

Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"

Blown

Blown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hmm :) :)

I checked for the crypt* files and all 7 are in the right place...

Repair Install is bad timing for me right now, so I would appreciate very much any new idea... The countdown for my final thesis's running and I've already spent a huge amount of time cleaning my pc from malware... :) If I don't download stuff and use Firefox instead of IE, I might survive for the next 8 weeks, what do you think? Hope also Windows Firewall is of some use at least...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
All you can do is try. If you make it for the 8 weeks that's great. If not you can do a repair install at any time.