Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video Card Benchmarking

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I'm looking for a nice benchmarking program for video cards. I'm about to receive an 8800GT, and I wish to get into some overclocking, so I want a benchmarking program.

Also, i've been hearing a lot about looking for 'artifacts', what are they exactly, and can I get a program that will look for them? (To test the stability of my GPU).

And if it's not too much trouble, would someone mind explaining what exactly Anti Aliasing is, or whatever =p.

~Seltox (feels like a n00b)

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
there isn't a way to test for artifacts. IF you have them, you will know it. Artifacts are defined as unwanted visible effects in the picture caused by disturbances and errors in the video transmission or digital processing. You will see missing blocks in graphics, tearing, and other anomalies.

Common causes:
vsync needs to be enabled. This occurs with a really new video card (fast one like your getting) while playing an older game like the original half life 2 or cod 2. The game is having problems rendering properly.

overheating. insufficient cooling, bad fans, and dirt can also cause it.

power: the newer video cards have considerably different power requirements. Not only do you have to plug in a dedicated power connection to the video card itself. It also requires the ability to deliver power on the 12volt rail and sufficient wattage. This is why we suggest a quality 600watt power supply.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Anti_aliasing
In digital signal processing, anti-aliasing is the technique of minimizing the distortion artifacts known as aliasing when representing a high-resolution signal at a lower resolution. Anti-aliasing is used in digital photography, computer graphics, digital audio, and many other domains

most people use 3dmark for bench marking their video cards.