Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Problem

• Please log in to reply

B3AN

B3AN

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My speakers emit no sound what so ever, when I put head phones in it still won't work, then when I go to the volume control a message pops up and it says the following:

"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, Click printers and other hardware, and then click Add Hardware"

Then when I go to that, I have no idea what to do... What's wrong?

P.S. I have a Gateway with Windows XP

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hello B3AN, welcome.

What the message is telling you is the driver for your sound card is not installed, or the sound card is defective. Let's hope it's the driver :)

Open Control Panel, then System. Click on the Hardware tab then the Device Manager button. Scroll down and see if there are any yellow or red marks in the Sound, Video and Game Controllers section.

If yes, right click on it and select Uninstall.

Shutdown and reboot and let XP rediscover the sound device and reload the drivers for it, see if that helps.

Post back here with results please.

B3AN

B3AN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, man! It looks like there were 4 of those checked items. I uninstall all of them and rebooted the comp. and it worked.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Excellent, nice when the simple fix works :)

Thanks for letting me know.