Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows acting oddly

• Please log in to reply

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hi guys, been awhile.

I've got a very odd problem with my XP install. About 2 weeks ago, I was playing a Dawn of War and the screen froze. After waiting several minutes I restarted windows, however, it hung on the loading screen (black background, windows logo, blue progress bar). Restarted to safe mode, it hung on the MUP drivers and asked if I wanted to skip. I said yes and windows started. After backing up my important data to my external HD, I restated windows again. I started normaly and I attempted to address the driver issue. After several minutes windows froze again and this time, I could not convince it to start again. Figureing it was about to reinstall again anyways, I reformatted the drive and installed windows again. After making a mistake in installing the drivers (oops), I figured it would be faster to reinstall windows than to fix the problem (I have a 15 min install time) So with windows freshly installed, I proceeded with updates, driver installs, etc etc. Took about a day to do. The random freezing strikes again! I has happened during a internet browsing, installing new programs, playing Ragnarok Online (was afk), and while restarting windows. The associated problems with having to restart windows multible times had persisted as well. I'm pretty sure at this point that it's probably a hardware problem, but I can't really tell which part is messing up, hard drive or video card.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello JourneyMan...

Have you checked the temperatures? Download, install, and run SpeedFan on the machine. Watch your temperature (you should see it displayed in the system tray) and let us know what the highest temperature you see is. Alternatively, post us a screenshot of the SpeedFan window with the "Readings" tab selected.

wannabe1

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Wow, should have thought of that myself.

I looked over my internals, looks like my CPU fan is intermittantly failing. It's a low noise setup so I didn't notice it underneath the huge heatsink at a glance.

Thanks, that probably saved me a fair bit of trouble and money.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to help! :)