Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sfc /scannow freezes desktop

• Please log in to reply

slinger1937

slinger1937

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello, can someone advise me please?

I ran a thorough scan with Avast, after about 70000 files the whole desktop froze, and I saw that Avast had stopped at "dllcache", and I had to switch off the PC at the mains.

When I restarted, I ran sfc /scannow, I have I386 copied to c:\ drive and it has always worked o.k.

Just after scannow started, it too froze the desktop and I had to switch off at the mains again.

On restart, I re copied I386 to the c:\ drive and checked the registry paths, these were o.k. on running scannow again, I got the same result.

Why will not sfc /scannow run correctly?

I have cleaned the registry with Eusing, a-squared, CClean, and carried out checks with ad-aware, SpywareBlaster, and Spybot. I also have ZA Free version.

Any ieas please?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like the dllcache directory is corrupted. Try running sfc /purgecache then try sfc /scannow again.

slinger1937

slinger1937

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ztrucker,

Thank you so much, what a result! I have been seeking and trying trying suggestions for well over a week, obviously in the wrong places.

Thanks again from over the water.

Pete.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You're welcome Pete, glad it worked for you. Also, thanks for letting me know.