Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Will a homeplug work for me?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hi everyone,
I basically want to play games online in my bedroom but the wireless router is far away so the connection is very unreliable.
I don't have any phone/ethernet "plugs"/ports nearby so:

I am considering buying a "homeplug". I have my eyes on one that has an ethernet port and an antennae for wired and wireless connectivity.
I am in the UK, using Be* 24meg broadband. We have a password protected wireless network (I doubt the last bit's relevant though).

So my question is, if I plug this homeplug in to my mains, will it instantly set up? Will I now be able to plug an ethernet cable in to it and connect to my broadband? Will a wireless network be instantly set up?

EDIT: I did a bit more research into them and found that I'll need 2 homeplugs. Is it as simple as plugging an ethernet cable from my router into the homeplug and the homeplug into a power socket, and then plugging another homeplug into a power socket and an ethernet cable from that to my computer?

Edited by Dominicc2003, 26 January 2008 - 05:04 PM.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,813 posts
From the limited knowledge that I have about this technology, you are correct. You should have two of these "plugs", one where you want your computer to be and one where your router is. You would run a cable from your router to the "plug" and then another cable from the other "plug" to your computer. I'm not sure how well this technology works and I've never seen it used. If it works well, let us know!