Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with attempted fix of computer... NEED HELP

• Please log in to reply

KDavidP1987

KDavidP1987

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I have a computer problem that i need some help with.

Recently, my mother and steop-fathers computer had had some sort of a power problem (short or power box i assume). NE Way I had done a thorough diagnostic on the hardware in order to determine where the problem was coming from...

First, I changed the power cord for a cord that i guaranteed worked. Secondly I replaced the power box with the box from my little brothers computer. This had a effect, now the power wasnt completely out. Whenever i plugged it in after this step the power would automatically turn on however the system wouldnt boot up (Lights were on and no one home). Also, when on using my little brothers power supply I could distinctively hear the sound of the hard drive trying to run as well as the two disk drives would open and close.

Now, after this step i went into checking the hard drie to make sure that it worked. I plugged my parents hard drive into my little brother computer and it did indeed work. Not perfectly, I could only boot the system in safe mode. the other normal mode would automatically shut down the computer at the login stage. But, needless to say the hard drive was there and functional.

After this i concluded to my parents that they would probably need to replace the motherboard and the power unit.

NOW A FEW DAYS LATER:

I have bought from a computer shop a compatible motherboard and power supply, installed it using the manual for the motherboard. However, something is still wrong. My mother took the computer home, plugged everything in corrctly, and now it will turn on; but once again nothing is showing up. The disk drives work, the computer hums (lol), but nothing comes on. Did I do something wrong during the installation. I am sort of a "ameteur" at computer hardware but i know very well that i followed the instruction manual to the tee. plugged in everything in the right slots, and distributed all the power cords to their correct place. Maybe someone out here can help me because im completely stumped as to why this is not working and my mom is wanting me to come home tonight to diagnose further and fix it.

In advance I would like to thank ne one for any help that they can provide to me,

Kris

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ems-t28727.html

Follow this and report back, pay particular attention to the part about trying it outside the case