Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading vista to XP

• Please log in to reply

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I'm generally pretty good at these things but this one has me stumped. This laptop has a 200GB SATA

The best source of of info for this type of thing is usually the manufacturer and I followed the instructions, I've downloaded the latest version of the drivers available and I still get the same error trying to load the driver.

I've pulled the drive and used a usb connection and gotten an install that starts to boot but gives me a error about the hard drive not configured or terminating properly.

I've installed XP to SATA systems and have not had this problem before. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you install the SATA drivers during the XP install process, when you see the Press F6 message?

What computer/mother board make and model?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Yes, but it returns an error 32746 at line 2113 listing the driver path for the install.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hmmm, what is the make/model of the laptop. Did it come with the 200GB SATA drive or did you add it? If the latter, what is the make of the drive?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Toshiba Sattilite a205 s7456. And yes I've tried every version of the driver released since 2005

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What driver(s) are you downloading? I checked the Toshiba site and found this link: Toshiba Support - Content List, but I don't see any mention of SATA. I'm wondering if this laptop has built in SATA support and a driver is not needed?

Edit: I refined the search to Windows XP and there are only 5 drivers and all are Vista/XP (dual), nothing specific for XP so now I'm windering if this laptop is capable of running XP?

Edited by Ztruker, 26 January 2008 - 09:48 PM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Here is Toshiba's article. Like I said I'm pretty good at this and know how to search for answers.

I've been trying to load XPHE to no avail. XP Pro doesn't return the Error but with the lastest raid driver it still doesn't see the drive. I'll try the older version and see iif I can get it to load XP Pro. This is a sweet laptop and if I weren't doing this for a friend I would put Linux on it because the Live CDs Ive loaded on it run very fast and a hard drive install would fly.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Still won't recognize the hard drive even with the driver loaded. Baffling!

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
After a long and exhaustive search I have a headache. I finally found the support forum at CompuServe and after trying the only answer there I read some more of the threads. It seems that Toshiba thinks you should run Vista and like it. If you do get it to install on a newer machine you can look forward to driver h3ll because Toshiba doesn't support XP on machines that they think should run Vista. Bummer! Even Toshiba's tech support said it can't be done. Double bummer!

I guess I'll restore it back to Vista and tell my friend that it's just not meant to be and recommend that people don't buy Toshiba if they want their computer to do what they want it to.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The web page you posted the link to does not mention Sattilite at all. Sure sounds like this is one of the new generation of computers that they are not writing XP drivers for.

daivd

daivd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
google search may help.

Edited by daivd, 01 February 2008 - 02:49 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
HP is doing the same thing.
I even tried using an older hard drive and it would not allow me to install XP.

trucker

trucker

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
guess we wait for windows 7 to come out then vista will be outdated too. and its not even up and running good yet LOL way to go bill

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
My laptop is a SATA drive, and I was having the hardest time with it.... what I ended up doing is using a program (I wish I remembered what it's called!) to integrate the driver into the installation process (when setup is loading files). Worked like a charm. I'll see if I can find out which program it was....

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

After a long and exhaustive search I have a headache. I finally found the support forum at CompuServe and after trying the only answer there I read some more of the threads. It seems that Toshiba thinks you should run Vista and like it. If you do get it to install on a newer machine you can look forward to driver h3ll because Toshiba doesn't support XP on machines that they think should run Vista. Bummer! Even Toshiba's tech support said it can't be done. Double bummer!

I guess I'll restore it back to Vista and tell my friend that it's just not meant to be and recommend that people don't buy Toshiba if they want their computer to do what they want it to.

Yeah been there done that... I've run across a few lappys that will not run xp as they are designed for xp... sometimes it just looses functionality and sometimes it's total as you've seen... sometimes it's drivers and sometimes it's bios.... we sold a NEW laptop and we told the dealer the customer wanted to use xp not vista... we got it preinstalled with xp and it still had driver issues and they told us to flash the bios after many go rounds they finally got me all the "right" files and I flashed it and yep you guessed it...dead laptop.... we had to send it back to them and have them fix it... !!!!!