Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Applications - This file does not have a program associated

• Please log in to reply

Emi-chi

Emi-chi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I am currently running Windows Vista. My laptop started acting a little weird so I restarted it to let it "clear it's mind" so to speak. When it restarted, every program I tried to open (including Windows programs such as System Restore) popped up with this dialogue "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel." Of course, the Set Associations panel comes up with the same dialogue.
Some programs have allowed me to run them when I choose "Run as administrator" from the right click menu.

Do you know what the problem is and how I can fix it?
Thank you for your help.

Edited by Emi-chi, 26 January 2008 - 11:28 PM.

Advertisements

Storman

Storman

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Sounds like your file associations have been corrupted. The way to fix it is to edit the Registry. However, have a look on the link below because someone has already mapped the required Registry corrections for you.

LINK HERE

Don't forget to backup your registry FIRST before applying the fix :)