Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with my hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Theda

Theda

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello

My XP computer started dying recently by giving me blue screen errors saying things like bad_pool_caller and other memory allocation error messages. Since the computer worked fine in safe mode, I figured that it was driver problems, but the drivers I managed to update didn't fix the problem. Since I was planning to build a new computer anyway, I thought I would simply take out the hard drive (IDE) and add it onto my new computer (also running XP) for extra storage.

So I did, and I can retrieve almost everything from the hard drive, except the stuff located in Theda's Documents folder. It gives me an error message saying "[Filepath] is not accessible. Access is denied". Yet I can get into the My Documents folder of everyone else who had a profile on that computer with no problems. When I view the folder properties, it says that my folder is empty, when there should be at least 5 or 6 gigs of files in there. Now, my folder was password protected, but so was other people's and I can get into those and all their content is there.

I thought about putting it back into the old computer to see if that would help get access to the folder, but it's died further since then and due to BIOS beeps, it appears that I need to replace the RAM and the shops don't open till Tuesday. I've also used "Recover My Files" but during the scan, it goes bezerk and stops working. I've asked my friends who know about computers and they don't know either. I've been trying to google info about my problem but without much luck yet, except a suggestion to try running chkdsk.

Is it a hard drive corruption? Has my user profile has been corrupted? Or something else? Is it worth bringing the computer into a shop to see if they can fix it?

Thanks to any help you can provide, I really appreciate it!

Edited by Theda, 27 January 2008 - 02:13 AM.

Advertisements

Theda

Theda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am a numpty! :) I did a search and I found a post with someone who had the same problem. I'm going to try the suggestions mentioned here: http://www.geekstogo...ed-t147058.html

I'll tell you how it goes.

Theda

Theda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It's worked! I'm so happy :) Thank you so much Piper.