Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my PC gets shutdown/restart often while playing games

• Please log in to reply

tejas_ch

tejas_ch

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have intel pentium 4 2.0GHz PC with 512MB RAM Mercury intel 845 chipset Motherboard. I have windows XP installed.

1. my PC often gets shutdown or restart when i play games or open heavy application like photoshop. when it gets shutdown i can not start it by pressing CPU cabinets turn ON button. i have to turn of UPS then only i be able to start it again.

2 .other problem is nowdays while booting my XP everytime checks 1 drive for errors.

PLZ help me thx in advance

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first lets do this...then we will take care of the hanging issue..

Chkdsk is a utility designed to check the integrity of the data on a computer's hard disk drive as well as find and fix errors which could corrupt such data.

Running chkdsk on your Windows XP or 2000 system can repair minor Windows problems

There are several different methods that can be used to run chkdsk
start with this one..... chkdsk c: /p
1. Click the Start button then... Run
2. In the Run window's Open box... type in ... cmd
3. Click OK and an MS-DOS-style black screen will appear in a new window
4. Run chkdsk by typing one of the the following commands where the cursor is blinking...
chkdsk c: /p and then press ...ENTER...

This is a short test that will tell you whether or not a longer test is needed. If after the test is done and a message ...One or more errors detected on the volume... appears then proceed to one of the next options...read them both first

1. Click the Start button then... Run
2. In the Run window's Open box... type in ... cmd
3. Click OK and an MS-DOS-style black screen will appear in a new window
4. Run chkdsk by typing one of the the following commands where the cursor is blinking...
chkdsk c: /f /r and then press ...ENTER...

typing chkdsk c... /f /r will both fix errors and recover lost data. Running chkdsk with both the /f and /r options can often take a considerable amount of time depending upon the size of your hard drive and the amount of data stored on it

OR
chkdsk c: /f and then press ...ENTER...

Typing chkdsk c: /f will only fix errors that are encountered but its much faster

5. With either command, a message will appear that says...chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>"
6. Type y (for "yes") and then press ...ENTER...
7. A message will appear that will say...This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts
8. Type exit and then press ...ENTER...
9. Reboot the computer as you normally would and chkdsk will automatically begin running after your reboot... While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage.
You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query C:, press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

Reboot again and see if chkdsk still runs on startup. If the machine boots back up to the command prompt, type exit

Edited by happyrck, 28 January 2008 - 03:52 PM.

tejas_ch

tejas_ch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thx man for helping me out.............i will do it..

thx again.

but i have major problem which is my PC gets shutdown i cant run application like photoshop also. so plz try for it. thx

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
What sort of GPU are you running?

My computer restarts when I play demanding games and my video card overheats.

tejas_ch

tejas_ch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
if u mean by graphics card then my PC has onboard graphis card only..no external GPU... the configuration is bit older...
its intel 845 GLM chipset....

thx

syntax_error

syntax_error

• Pip
  • 1 posts
my pc automatically shutdown when playing or just getting game errors..

pls.. suggestion..?ü

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
happyrck is just making sure that Windows isn't the main offender here. If the chkdisk comes out alright and your computer shuts down during graphic intensive programs it might be due to heat problems. What kind of case do you have, how's the ventilation around it, and is buying a new case/video card a possible option?